Online Dating Profile Writing Tips

Options
Roadie2000
Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
We're discussed pictures, but this is more about what people write, if anyone actually reads those anymore.

My personal favorite: "I like to stay in or go out." Really? OMG me too!!! It amazes me how many people think this is a valid description of themselves.

If you post any sort of rules that I must follow before I message you, I probably won't message you.

If you use the maximum number of characters allowed for writing your profile (ie. like 8 pages long) I probably won't bother reading it but will still message you if you are hot.

Learn how to use paragraphs. Type in English, no "OMG LOL! sup bb?" In all honesty you sound like a freaking idiot.

You don't have to say how much you love to laugh. This is annoying because obviously I hate to laugh. haha

Use spell check. Do you see those squiggly red lines under most of those words you are typing? That means that they're spelled wrong. Yes, your computer is probably smarter than you.

Replies

• melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    I don't like the long winded profiles either... who has time to read all that ****. LOL I don't want to read a dissertation on someone's life ahead of time. I guess some people like to write though.

But I also can't stand the ones who write nothing...

"ask me"
    "ask me'
    "ask me"

At this point I'm not asking you anything. :wink:
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I was going to post something similar to this, but more on the questioning side of things. I have probably 5-10 women a week check me out on POF.com (they have the viewed me thing, so I can know who checked me out). Unfortunately, none of them contact me. I'm not exactly sure what in the hell I'm doing wrong, mine meets all of your criteria down there.

Peopls are nuts.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    I was going to post something similar to this, but more on the questioning side of things. I have probably 5-10 women a week check me out on POF.com (they have the viewed me thing, so I can know who checked me out). Unfortunately, none of them contact me. I'm not exactly sure what in the hell I'm doing wrong, mine meets all of your criteria down there.

Peopls are nuts.
    People view your profile but don't message you? That's unheard of.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options

Peopls are nuts.
    Thanks for the biting and edgy report on the obvious... I get that it's not uncommon, it's just frustrating.

Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love it when people say they love walking in the sand at the ocean in their profile...I'm in OHIO!
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options

Peopls are nuts.
    Thanks for the biting and edgy report on the obvious... I get that it's not uncommon, it's just frustrating.

I get this also from men and sometimes I think I must be completely hideous because they will view me but no emails. It makes me sad. :cry:
  • jaxdiablo
    Options

Peopls are nuts.

I get this also from men and sometimes I think I must be completely hideous because they will view me but no emails. It makes me sad. :cry:
    I just realize I'm shrek looking for my Fiona and don't feel as bad... but well, then I go emotionally eat a dozen krispy kremes and the vicious cycle continues.
  • Roadie2000
    Options

Peopls are nuts.

Oh yeah it's the worst when you actually spend time writing an email to them, and you think it's kind of funny or witty. Then you can tell they checked out your profile but they still don't write back. Makes you feel great about yourself.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Personally, grammatically incorrect, all over the place profiles just make me shake my head and ask where did education fail us.

I don't think I ask for alot in my profile. I offer something about me, I think my profile name fits me (sportyPAchick). My only requirements are that you be active (not a 100% couch potato), you don't smoke or do drugs, you be relatively close to me (within an hour drive -- I drive nearly 2 hours a day to/from work so being in a car is not favorable on my free time), you have a job and a method of transportation.. plus a pulse and a sense of humor. WOOO... is that a lot? Today it seems to be. It's got to be easier than this!
  • jaxdiablo
    Options

Peopls are nuts.

Oh yeah it's the worst when you actually spend time writing an email to them, and you think it's kind of funny or witty. Then you can tell they checked out your profile but they still don't write back. Makes you feel great about yourself.

The one that drives me nuts the MOST on POF is the meet me feature, they clicked they want to meet you, you get this great e-mail from the system that says they wanted to meet you, you send them something like the aforementioned e-mail, and they never get back... wtf is that about?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Peopls are nuts.

I will admit I am horrible about that. I will read what a guy writes think okay check the profile and actually want to respond back but at the time I was on my phone checking it so I think . "Oh I will just respond later". Then 3 days goes by and I am like damn umm I forgot to respond to that guy. I have now hiden my profile just because I am horrible at the communitcating unless I get a message while I am sitting on my computer.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I will admit to looking at profiles and then not writing someone. The reason is I want to see what the rest of the profile is like. If I find that the rest of the profile is a mess of grammatical errors or is written in text-speak, I move on. One or two spelling errors I can overlook, but if it's written like someone in grade school then it is clearly not someone that I want to get to know. Snobbish? Maybe. I am looking for someone to be my match in more ways than just physical attraction. I like people who can challenge me intellectually and can hold a conversation about things other than what's on TV (not that TV is horrible, but I have interests outside of that such as art, literature, politics, and world events). In my opinion, the profile is the first impression. Remember the old deodorant ad? "You never get a second chance to make a first impression".
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Peopls are nuts.

2 years ago when I first got online, I was still playing by the "in person rules" that a woman doesn't make advances... so I would open up a bunch of guys profiles and hoped that when they say me in the "checked you out" list, they'd then email me.

Silly, I know.

Although, honestly, I don't actually email guys when I check them out. I'll wink, but even that feels awkward for me (going against my old-fashioned grain).