HUGE setback :( Suggestions?

Options
Hi! I hope you all don't mind if I take a few minutes to vent...As I dropped off my daughter at her babysitter's today, I stepped on a nail. The roofers who were working on her house dropped their nails in her driveway, even though they were not supposed to. There was a bunch of large nails all over her driveway, but of course I didn't see them because I was carrying a baby and a bag of things and I wasn't expecting them. I stepped on a nail with a backing piece so it went straight up into the arch of my foot (through my shoe). Anyway, now my foot hurts like crazy to say the least. I'm super upset because my husband and I had been doing so well, working out following a plan and losing weight really efficiently. I was also gaining some relaxation time by taking our daughter on 3 mile walks. So, I'm discouraged. I'm trying to see the bright side of things but it's difficult while my foot throbs and I have to ask my husband to do so much! I know it could be worse though. So, my plan for now is to stick strictly to a 1200 calorie diet until I can incorporate more activity. I'm also forcing myself to stay off my foot as much as possible for the next few days in hopes that it heals quickly. I keep telling myself now that a bit of sacrifice now will hopefully take away any long-term problems. Anyone else have any suggestions for keeping up my health/weight loss goals while sidelined like this? Thanks!

Replies

• MeAfter30
    MeAfter30 Posts: 129
    Options
    I can understand your frustration! I have a crap knee that really gets so much worse when I exercise. I actually love to exercise that is the ironic part. So I am limited on what I can do without throwing out my knee. What I have learned to do is adapt to the things I can do. In your case you want to stay off your foot, but maybe focus on strength training off your feet! Laying on the floor you can do sit ups, leg lifts, lift weights (you can do that sitting or laying!) Maybe google for more ideas.

Sorry that you hurt your foot.
  • K_Pow
    K_Pow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with MeAfter30. There are so many things that you can do off your feet (insert smart remark here...LOL)

Google is your friend in this case. I also know that there are upper body/core DVDs that you could purchase as well--although I don't know the names of any.

And of course because it is your foot...you will still be able to work legs in as well.

Don't give up....you can do this!!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't let it become an excuse, so take the advice above. I sprained my ankle real bad last year and I let it set me back for about 9 months. Think where I could have been if I had just lifted weights with my upper body! It is, of course, easier said than done because when a part of you hurts...well, it hurts. Hope this doesn't upset your journey too much!
  • KayNicoleKC
    Options
    Great news: my foot is already feeling better to the point where I can work out on it I think! I was super discouraged last week but thankfully things are much better than they seemed. I am glad I didn't let this derail me and that I could vent here. Sometimes complaining just makes things better, or at least releases some frustration, even though I always try to be a positive, glass half-full kind of person. But, better whine for a moment than drown my sorrows in a bag of potato chips :) Tonight, it's back to tae bo. And I'm actually excited about it!!!