Recovery Time

Options
Wondering what the average recovery time (back to work) was for everyone? My doctor said 5 days but I've heard different stories. Thanks.

Replies

• outoftherain
    Options
    I think it depends on your job. Is it a desk job? more manual? I took 3 weeks off and I am going back next week. I'm a home care nurse, if I was doing lifting in the hospital I would have taken at least a month-6 weeks off. I think for me the only issue is my energy level. I get tired in the afternoon and like to have a nap.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on Wednesday, November 9th and returned to work on November 21st, so I was off 8 working days. I have a desk job and this was enough time since I don't do any heavy lifting or anything. I wouldn't have wanted to go back any sooner though.
  • promising_actress
    Options
    5 days?! Are they crazy??!
    Jeez, my program said usually 2 weeks, but everyone (and every job) is different.

I have a pet care business & went back to work part time 10 days later (but was REALLY sore!) I think the bending was what really did me in. I went back full time 14 days later & wanted to die. I basically worked, came home & slept. My body was not happy!

But if you have a desk job 2 weeks is probably OK. & I'd walk everyday as much as you can just to prepare yourself for your return to the real world.

Good luck!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was told 2 weeks... and I have a desk job. Sadly, I was in the hospital for almost 7 days. I ended up being on bed rest for a month. It was a wild ride, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!! Best decision I ever made!
  • DDFinn
    DDFinn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work the next Monday. I have a pretty active job (no sitting) and I was fine. I know a lot of people have problems with low energy but I was just the opposite! Tons of energy! Good Luck!
  • souldancer2828
    Options
    I was told by my doc to take 2 weeks off and I did, even though I have a desk job. It took me that long to get my energy back and to get myself into a good routine with making shakes, drinking, and starting to eat. I went back to work on my birthday, which happened to be the same day I could start on soft foods so it was a lot all at once!

I think the slower you can take it the better- we need rest after a surgery that major! Good luck!
  • hopejo00
    hopejo00 Posts: 2
    Options
    My surgeon said 1 week, but the nurse educator in the program said that was a release to normal daily activity (like driving, etc). She said most people who have VSG should plan on taking 4-6 weeks off, depending on your current fitness and stamina levels. I have an office job and work from home most days, but it is very stressful and requires intense concentration. I took 4 weeks with the caveat that I may need an additional 2. If you have the benefit time, take it. You won't regret it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to go back after two weeks. However, my circumstances were a little different. Six days after I had my VSG, I had to have an emergency appendectomy so I was actually out a total of 4 weeks.

But everyone who went through the hospital I went through, the average is 2 weeks.
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    2 weeks for me. I had originally planned on a week, but my energy level was so low I decided to take an extra week. I needed it! I have a desk job, but thinking straight with no energy was nearly impossible.
  • boltsfan704
    boltsfan704 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I got my surgery date set for May 29th.
  • Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    Congrats! Let us know how you're doing.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I went back to my desk job in one week.
  • charlami
    charlami Posts: 31
    Options
    I had open surgery I work at a desk job and totally plan on a full 6 weeks, 8 weeks if I can get it approved.

I am sore beyond belief and I still have staples that need to be removed next tuesday. My incision is from about 2 inches below my breastline where the bra rests to about 2 inches below the belly button.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was on medical leave for a month.
  • springbound
    springbound Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary desk job. I was expecting to only be out 2 weeks, but ended up being out almost 3 once it was all said and done. I was still in a fair amount of pain and didn't feel like I could make it through the day yet after 2. I went back last Monday and I came home and took a nap every day after work. Now that I'm eating a little more, I have more energy, so hopefully this week won't be as tiring.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Well.. maybe I am the crazy one, but I was out a month.

I ended up staying in the hospital for a week (complications). I took 2 weeks off from work and ended up taking one more week because I wasnt getting enough protein to think straight. Total 4 weeks off.