Gluten free, low cal, tortilla recipe?

Options
So my family is having fajita's tomorrow, and I'd like to be able to have them too, so that means I need to make some tortillas! But because this is such short notice, I need to make one without baking powder because I don't have any gluten free stuff on hand. I found one recipe however I don't know how many calories are in it...
So does anyone have any gluten free tortilla recipes that don't require baking powder and are 110 calories or less?

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    So my family is having fajita's tomorrow, and I'd like to be able to have them too, so that means I need to make some tortillas! But because this is such short notice, I need to make one without baking powder because I don't have any gluten free stuff on hand. I found one recipe however I don't know how many calories are in it...
    So does anyone have any gluten free tortilla recipes that don't require baking powder and are 110 calories or less?

You can make corn tortillas. Go to the flour section of your store and pick a bag of Mais. You can make them as big or as small as you like. You can also purchase a package of corn tortillas from the grocery, or go to your local mexican restaurant and order a dozen. They are pretty low cal. usually 2 for 110 calories or 120 calories. Something like that.
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not all premade corn tortillas are gluten free, but I know that Mission brand are.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There are premade corn and brown rice tortillas that are gf at Trader Joes. The brown rice ones are great for making pizzas.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    This is mine:

2 teaspoonsSalt
    1/8 cupoil
    1 cupLukewarm water
    2 cupsbuckwheat flour
    2 cupstapioca starch
    2 tspxanthan gum

that makes 24, so you might want to scale it down. Best way to roll them is between two layers of glad wrap.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Whoops, that's not enough water. Start with a cup and slowly add more until it forms a nice soft, slightly sticky ball. Easiest if you're using a mixer, but you can still do it by hand. Usually ends up between 2-3 cups water total.

These keep well in the fridge without getting hard like rice tortillas, if you can keep them around!
    This is mine:

2 teaspoonsSalt
    1/8 cupoil
    1 cupLukewarm water
    2 cupsbuckwheat flour
    2 cupstapioca starch
    2 tspxanthan gum

that makes 24, so you might want to scale it down. Best way to roll them is between two layers of glad wrap.