To bring a date or not bring a date

Options
Roadie2000
Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
I've kind of been seeing someone for a few weeks now, we appear to like each other but I don't know what will happen in the future. It's still pretty casual.

But I have this wedding coming up that I need to RSVP for pretty soon, but the wedding itself isn't until the summer. And all of the people that I will know at the wedding will be standing up in it, so it would be nice to have a date.

So...do I RSVP with a +1, assuming we are still seeing each other then, or if we're not maybe I will be seeing someone else by then. Do I play it safe and just go stag? Maybe I can squeeze her in at the last minute if things are still going well, or if not maybe I can meet someone there.

I also have the same predicament with some concerts I want to get tickets for. All of the people I'd be going with are couples, most of them married. I'm getting kind of tired being the one single guy.

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'd definately buy the concert tickets. It's fairly easy to find someone to go to a concert with. Even if it's just a friend.

No clue on the wedding, I am always single whenever I go to one.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel :flowerforyou:

Planning in advance is a bit of a pain when you're single.

But I usually think positive and get 2 tickets and/or say +1 for the wedding. My take is that if the moment comes and I'm still not with anyone I want to invite, I'll take a mate. Or you can just let the wedding party know for sure a couple of weeks before the the +1 is no more.

IOW you dont have to be 100% even for a wedding. People break up and get together all the time :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Another option could be to RSVP+1 and find a female (platonic) friend who can go with you if things don't work out with her.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I run events for work and deal with the logistics of this often (although not for weddings)... add +1 to the RSVP for the bride's sake. It is always easier to subtract a guest than to add one at the last minute.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Do the +1, and as Anna said you can let them know a week in advance if things have changed. Usually they don't give a final head count until a few days before the event so you should be good.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I run events for work and deal with the logistics of this often (although not for weddings)... add +1 to the RSVP for the bride's sake. It is always easier to subtract a guest than to add one at the last minute.

Probably the best advice!
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options

Probably the best advice!

Yes and buy the concert tickets... as said before... you can always find a friend to go with you. But hopefully you will have a sexy lady with you! :wink:
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Thanks everybody, that's probably what I'll do. I've had pretty good luck with buying extra concert tickets in the past, if I can't find someone to come I can always sell it too.

Also, this wedding is about an hour away so I was thinking about getting a hotel room. I suppose I should just reserve a room, and if she says she can't stay the night I can always cancel it, right?
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    RSVP for just you and then if you are still together tell her she can come but she can't eat and has to sit on your lap! LOL!

Kidding. :devil:
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bring a date to a wedding?????? That's like bringing sand to a beach! Weddings are full of emotional women to hit on. Didn't you see that movie ??
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    Bring a date to a wedding?????? That's like bringing sand to a beach! Weddings are full of emotional women to hit on. Didn't you see that movie ??

But he also might run into a Stage 5 Clinger... :happy:
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    1. Maybe back in the day when I was like 24 and all of my friends were just starting to get married. Now I'm 35 and most ladies my age are married with kids.
    2. I assume the few single ones will bring dates.
    3. I don't find the bride very attractive, and I just assume her friends and family are in the same range.
    4. I also assume my chances of getting lucky with someone I've been dating for a while would be better than with someone I've just met.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Also, this wedding is about an hour away so I was thinking about getting a hotel room. I suppose I should just reserve a room, and if she says she can't stay the night I can always cancel it, right?

Yeah, most hotel cancellation policies only require 24 hour notice. Should be easy enough.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just ask the girl if you're still together in x amount of months, if she would be interested in going to a wedding with you? I think you are over-thinking this! And why do you need her to stay in a room with you? To split the cost? If it's that, I understand cancelling it but if not, then I don't get what the big deal is about the room.

A few weeks ago, I had a guy mention that I could come to his barbecue thing he was having if I would like to (it was a couple of weeks off) and I said, "yeah that sounds fun." Well now we're not seeing each other and believe me, the conversation was not that bad.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    3. I don't find the bride very attractive, and I just assume her friends and family are in the same range.

Wow... just... wow. I know I'm not drop dead gorgeous, but I DO have friends that are. That's... frankly quite a ridiculous assumption.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Wow... just... wow. I know I'm not drop dead gorgeous, but I DO have friends that are. That's... frankly quite a ridiculous assumption.

LOL....I totally thought the same thing...and yet, I found it hilarious!

I agree with making the +1 and buying two concert tickets, however the "If we're still together when" talk can be uncomfortable and may make her 1) run away 2) stick around because she promised 3)make her insanely happy and she'll start planning her outfit tonight. At least those are the reactions that come to mind for me...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've kind of been seeing someone for a few weeks now, we appear to like each other but I don't know what will happen in the future. It's still pretty casual.

But I have this wedding coming up that I need to RSVP for pretty soon, but the wedding itself isn't until the summer. And all of the people that I will know at the wedding will be standing up in it, so it would be nice to have a date.

So...do I RSVP with a +1, assuming we are still seeing each other then, or if we're not maybe I will be seeing someone else by then. Do I play it safe and just go stag? Maybe I can squeeze her in at the last minute if things are still going well, or if not maybe I can meet someone there.

I also have the same predicament with some concerts I want to get tickets for. All of the people I'd be going with are couples, most of them married. I'm getting kind of tired being the one single guy.

I'd do +1. Always easier to take away than add at a later date.
    As for the concert, I'm buying tickets to a show in July.

If nothing else and the gf can't come, I'll take a friend.
  • Roadie2000
    Options

Yes, I know it's possible. I'm just going by odds.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Actually, as someone who used to be a wedding photographer.... It's really not a ridiculous assumption.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Why don't you just ask the girl if you're still together in x amount of months, if she would be interested in going to a wedding with you? I think you are over-thinking this! And why do you need her to stay in a room with you? To split the cost? If it's that, I understand cancelling it but if not, then I don't get what the big deal is about the room.

A few weeks ago, I had a guy mention that I could come to his barbecue thing he was having if I would like to (it was a couple of weeks off) and I said, "yeah that sounds fun." Well now we're not seeing each other and believe me, the conversation was not that bad.
    Trust me, we're not at a point where we should be planning anything months in advance. I actually haven't even got the invitation yet, I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Why do I need her to stay in a room with me? I don't need her to do anything, I just thought it would be more fun to have a few drinks and crash in the room as opposed to staying sober and driving all the way home. I wouldn't let her split the cost if she offered.