nutrition in the week before a marathon

Options
I'm running Big Sur at the end of the week, and I'm hoping to get some advice on how to eat this week. I know I need to up my carbs, but I don't want to go crazy. I generally run about 45 mpw (but not now--in throes of Taper Madness) and eat around 1600-1800 calories a day, depending on exercise level. (44-year-old woman, 5'8" FWIW) I'm vegetarian with pretensions of veganism (inability to give up yogurt). I've run 3 marathons before this one, but feeding myself appropriately right before and right after has been a challenge each time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    First off enjoy Big Sur, it is an awesome race! Don't get sucked in by the easy start or you will pay dearly at mile 21...

As far as pre-race nutrition (and race and post-race as well) we are all an experiment with a "sample size of one." My whole life one big carb load to begin with, so I don't make too many changes during race week.

My biggest issues are keeping my stomach in check the day before the race, so as to avoid and portapotty stops during the race. I steer clear of too much fiber and the likes.

But all that matters is what works for you. Good luck and have fun!
  • raggedyangst
    Options
    Thanks for that! I'm going to try to gently increase my calories and carbs a bit this week--I'm still in "lose" mode, so I reckon I have a little wiggle room to allow it. And yeah, avoiding the treats at the expo, not going crazy at dinner the night before--the temptations are many. Can't wait to see the course. Thanks for the start warning; I hadn't heard about the easy start, and I'm a sucker for them....!
  • Ziinx
    Ziinx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally always love Hal's take on things.

http://www.halhigdon.com/writing/50944/Are Carbs No Longer Good Choices"

Bring on the pasta! (: