Day 1

Options
Hi ladies,
Today is my first day getting back on track with the eating and exercising. I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. My 6 month old is a breastfed baby, plus she just started her solids. I'm 6'0 tall and 303 lbs, but even with adding the -500 for breastfeeding, it says my daily goal should be around 2400 cals for weight loss. I think that's a little crazy myself. My cals today were 1300, and I feel satisfied. Plus I make sure to get at least 12 cups of water. I'm just nervous about my supply. With my son (2.5 year old) I was working so I pumped, and I felt my supply diminish when I tried the weight loss. But I know actual BFing is better than pumping, so I'm hoping nothing will happen this time around. I did read another post which a gal said it's more important for her to BF right now (than lose a bunch of weight), and I feel the same way. Anyways, it's about being accountable too. I have lost a large amount of weight (totally natural--by diet and exercise) before the kids-over 100lbs, so I feel like I know what I'm doing.

Any thoughts though on the cals it recommended for me as of right now?

Replies

• labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would monitor your supply as you keep track of your calories here. I am only 5'0" tall so my calorie goal was set at 1200. I could eat that and feel satisfied, but found that my supply seemed to be less so I'm currently at 1400 and after breastfeeding and exercise I generally net anywhere from 1300 to 1500 per day and my supply seems fine.
    With that being said, I will say that my weight loss has been pretty non-existent for the past 5 weeks or so. I have been exercising so I've lost some inches, but the weight is still there despite exercise and religiously tracking everything I eat and eating very healthy. Some people shed the pounds with breastfeeding. I wish I was one of them, but my body seems to want to keep the last 15 pounds. My little one is only 3 months old so maybe it will start coming off, but if I have to wait until I'm done feeding I'm okay with that too.
    Your body will let you know soon enough if it's not getting enough to keep up your supply.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of calories you are consuming. If you eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lean protein and moderate carbs, I could see where you could consume 2400 cal/day and still lose given your height and weight. If you don't consume enough calories, your body will go into starvation mode and you will be counterproductive with weight loss.

If you are concerned about the recommended calories, talk to your doctor. You can gain some knowledge and advice here, but it is always best to seek out the counsel of a medical professional who knows you better than people on an internet message board. :)
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also have two children, my older son is almost two years old and my younger one is a little over two months old. I nurse my baby exclusively. My midwife recommended not to eat less then 1800 calories a day while nursing. I have been using this site for 6 weeks now, and I lost 21 pounds during that time. I eat 1750 to 2000 calories a day. I walk a lot, carry my infant and jump rope. I do not think you have to eat 2400 calories a day, but I would definitely not eat less then 1800. It seems too few calories, especially since you are busy and active no matter what with two young ones.