Food Labels and MFP

Options
angelcop74
angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
Be VERY vigilant about your food labels while logging! A friend just brought to my attention that the turkey meat i had been logging in my food diary seemed very low in Sodium, and low and behold i look at my diary, and it only had Cals listed! Zeros for everything else! I don't know how that happens, and i felt like a real dummy for not having noticed before that.
Be careful peeps! <3

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestion! In a similar vein, potassium is often under-reported in MFP (frequently as zero). Since potassium helps counter balance sodium, it's tough to make sure you're getting enough potassium unless you check labels carefully.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    i really love this site, and i understand they're trying to make it more user friendly by letting us add to the food database, but it was def a wake-up call that i cant just choose the name of what i THOUGHT i was eating. I have to really check it and make sure it's accurate.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The two ounce serving of deli ham I added today recorded 1500 mg for sodium, but it was actually 540 mg. I double checked the brand, description...everything was the same except for the nutrition information. Thanks for the tip on watching the MFP nutrition info.
  • angelcop74
    Options
    CRAZY right?! Geesh! I'm glad it was pointed out to me!