Online Dating Question

Options
Ok this may have been asked before but honestly I'm to lazy to go back and look.....:happy:

So I'm VERY new to the online dating world. Actually I've had my profile up a whole 6 days. I've noticed a few guys have looked at my profile several times (like everyday, a few times per day) but didn't send a message. So my question is, do you think they are trying to get me to send the first email or just being annoying. I mean my profile is still the same since the last time they looked. :laugh:

Any thoughts???

Replies

• solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Does your profile have a lot of information on it?
    I sometimes find girls that just joined and their profile isn't complete yet, so I'll check back another day to see if they've filled anymore information out. It's hard to send a meaningful message if the girl hasn't stated anything about herself.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    They like how you look (can`t blame them) but either are too shy to contact or just don`t want to take it any farther.
    Could be trying to build themselves up to sending a note or seeing if you look back.

Kind of a silly game at that point.
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I didn't think of that! I filled out most of my profile but there are a few sections I'm still missing.

On other note, what is up with the wink? Does that mean people are too lazy to send an email?

Sorry, like I said I'm new to this and trying to learn the ropes.
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Options
    They like how you look (can`t blame them) but either are too shy to contact or just don`t want to take it any farther.
    Could be trying to build themselves up to sending a note or seeing if you look back.

Kind of a silly game at that point.

Awww thanks Carl!

But I was thinking the same thing.....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wink is not lazy - it's saying if you're attracted back, wink or email back. But why waste your VALUABLE time sending an email to someone that might not be interested at all :) Two sides to every coin :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. if I were you, and you were actually interested in one of these men, I would send him just a short little funny message. :)

The few guys I actually initiated contact with, one being Sugar Lips, I think the first thing I messaged him was "I like your hat. :)" because he was wearing a Texas hat.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Reasons for looking multiple times:

1. You forgot what their profile says
    2. You're ogling pictures
    3. You are interested, but not ready to contact
    3a. You've started chatting up someone else you're interested in and don't like to have too many fires in the oven
    3b. You are recently single and not quite ready to actually date, so you're just "browsing"
    3c. You're new to online dating and have too many questions to actually start contacting someone yet
    4. You're rubbing one out to pictures
    5. You're shy and think there's no chance in hell, so you're just gleefully observing.
    6. You have low self-esteem and are memorizing your profile to draft an extra special email in hopes of winning your affection

You see where I'm going here? Who knows...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

3a. You've started chatting up someone else you're interested in and don't like to have too many fires in the oven
    3b. You are recently single and not quite ready to actually date, so you're just "browsing"
    3c. You're new to online dating and have too many questions to actually start contacting someone yet
    5. You're shy and think there's no chance in hell, so you're just gleefully observing.
    6. You have low self-esteem and are memorizing your profile to draft an extra special email in hopes of winning your affection

Well said!

My theory is they are trying to send you an email based on your profile but they keep forgetting what it says.

Winks are just to let someone know that you're interested without having to type out an entire email. If you're interested send them a quick note or just wink back.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Focus your efforts offline. Online dating didn't exist until the mid 1990s and didn't become de-stigmatized until the mid 2000s. People met and got married before that. You'll be more successful if you put more of your efforts into offline dating.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Focus your efforts offline. Online dating didn't exist until the mid 1990s and didn't become de-stigmatized until the mid 2000s. People met and got married before that. You'll be more successful if you put more of your efforts into offline dating.

100% DISAGREE!! For those of us from small towns that don't want to meet a future mate in a bar, online is really the only way to go.

As for OP....wink is to show interest, as others have said, without going through trouble of writing email....so if you might be interested wink back, or write quick email.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Hmmm I didn't think of that! I filled out most of my profile but there are a few sections I'm still missing.

On other note, what is up with the wink? Does that mean people are too lazy to send an email?

My opinion on the winks, it means they are to lazy to write a note and a trolling for a response from you. Then if you respond they will put in time and effort to write something, my opinion, not worth your time.
  • odusgolp
    Options

My opinion on the winks, it means they are to lazy to write a note and a trolling for a response from you. Then if you respond they will put in time and effort to write something, my opinion, not worth your time.

Completely disagree.
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Options

Been there, done that. Not meeting anyone offline so I'm expanding my resources. I've actually had a ton of friends meet their SO online in the past few years so it is worth a shot.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Don't over-think this one. In some respects it feels like shopping online, so they are just double and triple checking their options. And don't forget that anytime you go online to see if they checked you out then they'll possibly see that and think you are checking them out multiple times...
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Options

Love this!

Don't over-think this one. In some respects it feels like shopping online, so they are just double and triple checking their options. And don't forget that anytime you go online to see if they checked you out then they'll possibly see that and think you are checking them out multiple times...

I dont know about the other websites but on match it shows who looked at your profile but dosent make you look at theirs.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

...says the guy with a match.com profile...

100% DISAGREE!! For those of us from small towns that don't want to meet a future mate in a bar, online is really the only way to go.

I agree with you disagreeing. Of course people would want to meet others offline, but that's not that easy. I tried it. I tried to get friends to set me up, I joined sports leagues, I moved to a new city to try to meet new people. It bugs me when people say things like "Just go out more, meet new people." Well no *kitten*, I never thought of that! :laugh: I'm 39, I haven't had any real luck by now meeting people "in real life", so sometimes you need to expand your horizons.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    ...says the guy with a match.com profile...

I have a Match profile, but am not a current subscriber, so can't communicate on Match. Match profiles without a paying subscription are about as useful as a rusted out 1974 AMC Gremlin.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Been there, done that. Not meeting anyone offline so I'm expanding my resources. I've actually had a ton of friends meet their SO online in the past few years so it is worth a shot.

Why do you think you are not meeting people offline? You live in Denver. Denver has a reputation of having favorable demographics for single women. There's a reason why it is called Menver.
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Options

Why do you think you are not meeting people offline? You live in Denver. Denver has a reputation of having favorable demographics for single women. There's a reason why it is called Menver.

Ok let me rephrase that. Yes I meet people offline. However, they are not people I would want to start a relationship with. I've tried church, meetups, and I'm a pretty social person. Still nada. Online is just another tool I decided to check out. I don't think having options can hurt anything. I'm not getting dates either way. :laugh:
  • DMZ_1
    Options

Ok let me rephrase that. Yes I meet people offline. However, they are not people I would want to start a relationship with. I've tried church, meetups, and I'm a pretty social person. Still nada. Online is just another tool I decided to check out. I don't think having options can hurt anything. I'm not getting dates either way. :laugh:

I can empathize. I certainly wish the best for you.