metformin question

Options
miranda_mom
miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
So, I started Metformin last week, started at once a day and then went up to twice a day yesterday. I never thought this would be a problem for me but I don't really feel like eating! I usually try to eat back my exercise calories but yesterday I was at a 700 calorie deficit (I did work out). And my meals were not small (about 400 calories each for breakfast and lunch) and like 900 for dinner (we ate out). I usually snack when I am hungry but last night I just had one snack (fruit and cheese) and made myself do that because I knew I needed the nutrients. Mostly yesterday I was like "Oh, it's time to eat now." Anyone else having this issue? And is it as big of a deal as I seem to think it is?

Replies

• Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also went on metformin last Thursday at the 500mg dose (tomorrow I go to 1000mg) and I am feeling something similar. Very hard to eat back the exercise calories and it always makes me want to make up the deficit with unhealthy things, like a cheeseburger. lol... Maybe it will even out as your body adjusts to the drug.
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    I know what you're saying - it's secretaries day today so we all pitched in and got doughnuts for the clerical staff and I thought about having one but only because I'm on track to have like a 550 calorie deficit today. So I thought "Well a doughnut will fit into that!". Luckily, I waited long enough that now only yucky ones are left that I didn't want and I had a Greek yogurt instead.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've gone up to 1500mg yesterday after being on it for 6 weeks, and I found this too. And in my experience, it doesn't stop. But it's a good thing!! Today I've had a big lunch as I have a zumba class later, and I ate a small wrap, some sushi and some fruit. Back before I was on metformin this would have been only too easy, right now I'm wishing I stopped at the wrap. I feel like I'm going to burst.

God I love this drug!
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    I've gone up to 1500mg yesterday after being on it for 6 weeks, and I found this too. And in my experience, it doesn't stop. But it's a good thing!! Today I've had a big lunch as I have a zumba class later, and I ate a small wrap, some sushi and some fruit. Back before I was on metformin this would have been only too easy, right now I'm wishing I stopped at the wrap. I feel like I'm going to burst.

God I love this drug!

So do you eat all or almost all of your calorie allotment most days? I don't feel like eating much again today - and have a Zumba class and seriously, right now my diary says my net calories will be less than 400. Not good. I am going to Subway for dinner and was thinking of maybe getting a foot long instead of a six inch but I also feel like I don't really need it...
  • Sheilav330
    Options
    I been on this med since november and i am only on once a day 500 mg at bed time im not sure if its doing anything or not but i sure do wish my chin hair will lessen lol but what i do when i eat out i workout on my off day for about an hr then some yoga in the late evening oh and also when u eat out just eat half the meal and save the rest for another day or for someone else to eat!! lol
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    I'm with you Sheila - either that or my hair on my head would stop thinning!
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calorie allotment most days because I'm only on 1200 a day. When i'm exercising I eat back about 2/3 of the extra calories and find I lose better on this. I stick to a low GI diet most of the time though and am cutting excess sugar out of my diet (had to give up normal tea and coffee!!) Most of the time as a result of this I don't get overly full as I'm not eating those bad carbs that bloat you out.
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    Thanks for your response! My calorie allotment is a lot higher because I have a lot to lose! :frown: I ended up eating most of it back yesterday. By the time we got to dinner, I felt lightheaded and then felt better when I ate a pretty substantial dinner. (Still within my calories though :wink: I am hoping that the medication is just messing me with a little bit. Yesterday morning, you couldn't have paid me to eat anything between breakfast and lunch and even lunch I ate but I didn't really want! Then, the second half of the day I was really hungry! Today I'm going to take double snacks to work so that I don't get really hungry at the end of the day like I did yesterday.