Memorial Day Food

Options
devonette
devonette Posts: 263 Member
Our family has a tradition of having a "two meal" cookout on Memorial Day, complete with burgers, hot dogs, keilbasa, potato & macaroni salads, cole slaw, soda, chips and desserts. We pig out at lunchtime and then again at dinner time, with munchies in between. Just for the heck of it, I calculated out the calories for what I would have considered very light portions for me for one meal (1 4 oz. burger, 1 roll, 1 slice of cheese, 1/4 cup of each salad, 1 oz Fritos & 1 glass of iced tea) and was horrified to see it came to about 900 calories (and some serious sodium) and that was not even counting dessert or multiple glasses of iced tea! And that was just for one meal! Now, I realize we are all entitled to a "day off" once in awhile, but I guess I was pretty clueless as to how many calories I really do consume on cookout holidays like this one!

By Memorial Day I will have explored some better options, maybe lower calorie salads, thinner burgers, chicken instead of keilbasa, turkey hot dogs, sugar free jello dessert, fruit, etc.. so that I'll still be able to enjoy the picnic, but feel better about what I'm eating!

Is anyone else planning to try to behave with their eating over the holiday weekend, or will you be counting it as day or days off?

Replies

• Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i'm planning on enjoying myself, whatever i feel like! i've been working hard since January for this weekend and i plan on doing it up! it's the one weekend i don't want to stress over food/drinks =] i might totally end up healthy snacking during the day and going for it at dinner,but whatever i do, i know there'll be drinks involved ;} :drinker: :wink:
  • amberfarmer99
    amberfarmer99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm too accustomed to watching what I eat. I know that I will watch what I eat, but it will still be a day off for me, so I know that I may still be over...but I also know that I will feel guilty. My family likes turkey burgers (we have been having turkey since Feb instead of beef so we are use to it).