Fueling for half marathon???

Options
follownocrowd
follownocrowd Posts: 59 Member
Question for you experienced long distance runners out there.

I have always been a runner, ran cross country in high school but stepped away from it while my daughters were young. Running took a back seat in my life until about 5 years ago. Getting back into it all these years later, I find that I don't have the stamina I used to have.....maybe older age, extra weight, who knows....

Anyhoo, while training for the Minneapolis Monster Dash I suddenly became ill and was diagnosed with hyponatremia and was admitted to ICU after my heart stopped. It was also discovered that I had an autonomic disorder, neurocardiogenic syncope which was aggravated during training from adrenal fatigue and the hyponatremia. I have been instructed by my cardiologist to no longer consume any type of sugar or caffeine because it causes NCS symptoms. After getting the go-a-head to resume running, I began to train for the Rock 'N Roll half marathon. So, my question is does anyone have any good advice on how to fuel that does not involve sugar?? No heavy carbs, no processed foods, etc. I can tolerate fruit but in small amounts. I have been looking on runnersworld.com but no articles address my situation, which isn't surprising.

Any advice is helpful!

Nicole

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Well first off, kudos for you for keeping up running after all that!

I don't consume sugar while fueling my long runs simply because it upsets my stomach. So far (and I'm in training for a marathon so I've been doing this on runs up to 21 miles) I've been only drinking water and for eating I have been peeling and boiling a potato the night before a long run (in bite-size chunks). Then I cool it in the fridge overnight. Before heading out to run I salt the potato pieces. On my run I just eat them out of a sandwich bag. The potato has carbs & potassium and salting it gives you sodium. It has been working very well for me and not upsetting my stomach at all.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ebay, that is genius. I have a friend who does something similar with sweet potato...but the salt is definitely a bonus for those long runs. Clever girl.

follow, so sorry you had those health issues! How scary! Glad you're back on the road. :flowerforyou: When/where is the Rock N Roll half you're training for?
  • DianaBall
    DianaBall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stubby and ebay those are great ideas. I have some stomach distress when running 1/2 s and had yet to find something that may work. I am going to try both sweet potatoe and regular. Follow so sorry about all those medical problems but so glad you have prevailed and are staying strong. I hope one of these ideas will work for you and good luck in the Rock N Roll half.
  • enchantedeskape
    Options
    I have to agree that the potato idea is awesome! I have been struggling with what to use for fuel on long runs, too. I have a food "intolerance" that is used in almost every stinking kind of what-have-you if it is processed (gels, bars, etc).

I'll keep the tater idea in mind!
  • follownocrowd
    follownocrowd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Potatoes!!!! That is a GREAT idea! I have a hard time keeping my potassium and sodium levels within normal ranges so I am going to try that!

The Rock 'N Roll half and full marathons are in San Diego CA on June 3 2012. I am running to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I don't personally know anyone with a blood cancer but when I was approach about doing this I decided to give it a try because I wanted to get back into running and what better way than by running for those who can't. I am not doing it to set a new PR but to prove to myself that I am not defined by a medical issue.

Thank you all! I have quite a different outlook on life now! I am just glad to be out running again even though I am not as fast as I was before.

Nicole
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm glad you all like the potato idea. I totally can't take credit though, I got the idea from someone else here on MFP. I also don't care to spend a lot of time chewing while I run and the potato chunks just kind of dissolve off in your mouth which is good.

Really I would prefer not to eat and drink at all while running but that is not compatible with doing marathons so I'm trying to adapt. :)