Calories burned by Riding

Options
GBO323
GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
Yep, it's true!

http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=16&ti=Transportation&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68

One of the reasons I'm hungry after a 2-3 hour ride. :tongue:

While I don't count riding calories for my daily commute, I will count them for extended rides. Usually helps as well since food is a destination point.

Replies

• debloves2ride
    Options
    I had found that and was impressed - like you said explained a lot. I just log in long rides - we road 5 hours on saturday and I was so pleasantly surprised at calories burned!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The group that I ride with here in eastern PA tends to stick mostly to very twisty back roads, and we ride at what some might call a "spirited"pace. When we are on one of these rides I log my calorie burn, but when we take a trip on the highway, and are just cruising along I don't log anything. I figure it's not much more strenuous than driving a car.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Riding at a spirited pace definitely burns some calories. You should see how I'm sweating after throwing my bike around on roads like Deals Gap. Commuting through town to work? Not so much. I'm one of those nutty sport riders that's always hanging off one side of the bike in the twisty stuff, so moving around that much is a lot of work.

JM
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Wore my HRM on a 6 day ride last spring (8 to 10 hr days). 2LBT and interstate, 3 days with heavy cross winds. My burn was only slightly more than regular day with no work outs. Still get sleepy and hungry at the end of a long ride though. LoL