one mile

Options
emkelly27
emkelly27 Posts: 23 Member
I am starting a new rutine for summer. wanting to actually run a whole mile is my goal then hopefully i can increase it. first of all I need baby steps. it's like learning how to walk all over again. if anyone has any plans or ideas of how to start a safe rutine to run a mile well i'm here to listen/read... ;)

Replies

• daytonadolphin9
    Options
    Here is a program that can get you started on your journey. Hope it helps. I started with this about a yearago and now I am training for a half marathon in November.

Week 1: Getting off the couch!

Goal: A combination of walking and slow jogging for 20 minutes, 3 times this week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday usually works well, giving enough time between workouts to recover.

Activity: Warm-up walk for 5 minutes, then switch between very easy jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds. Alternate this sequence 6 times. If you feel too uncomfortable jogging, just walk it out. Try again the next time you should be jogging until you can get through the 60 seconds.

Week 2: Sticking with it!

Goal: Continue walking and slow jogging for 20 minutes, 3 times this week. You should be getting over the initial shock and soreness and feeling better about sticking with the program.

Activity: Warm-up walk for 5 minutes. Then switch between very easy jogging for 90 seconds and walking for 2 minutes. Alternate between these for a total of 15 minutes, or 20 minutes total time.
    Sponsored Links

Create an Exercise Plan
    Build a Custom Plan Here Based on Your Goals and Favorite Activities.

Week 3: Getting into the groove!

Goal: This week emphasizes a little more jogging and less walking. Stick with 3 times per week. You should be feeling stronger and more energetic .

Activity: Warm-up walk for 5 minutes. Then easy jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, easy jog for 3 minutes, then walk for 3 minutes. Do this twice for a total of 18 minutes, or 23 minutes total time.

Week 4: Reviewing your progress!

Goal: This week emphasizes even more jogging and less walking. Getting the picture now? Take a minute to review your running log and reflect on your progress. By now, you're either hating life or feeling some accomplishment.

Activity: This week's activity gets a little more complicated. After the usual 5 minute warm-up walk, jog for 3 minutes then walk for 90 seconds. Jog for 5 minutes and walk for 2 1/2 minutes. Jog for 3 minutes and walk for 90 seconds. Finally, jog for 5 minutes for a total of about 26 minutes total time.

Week 5: Run, don't walk!

Goal: This week is all about running, well at least jogging the whole time. We will break up the activity into 3 different workouts, focusing on building up the jogging time.

Activity: On Monday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 5 minutes, walk for 3, jog 5, walk 3, jog 5. On Wednesday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 8 minutes, walk for 5, jog for 8. On Friday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 20 minutes.

Week 6: Feeling good!

Goal: This week is just like last week with just a little bit more jogging. You should be feeling stronger now and you may have dropped a few pant sizes too.

Activity: On Monday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 5 minutes, walk for 3, jog 8, walk 3, jog 5. On Wednesday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 10 minutes, walk for 3, jog for 10. On Friday, do your 5-minute warm-up walk and then jog for 25 minutes.

Week 7: Get down with your bad self!

Goal: This week is simple. You will jog all 3 days. Try and pick up your jogging speed a little to help build more strength and endurance.

Activity: After your 5 minute warm-up walk, jog for 25 minutes.

Week 8: Feeling the jogging love!

Goal: This week is simple as well. Jog all 3 days, picking up the pace as you feel comfortable.

Activity: After your 5 minute warm-up walk, jog for 28 minutes.

Week 9: The final workout!

Goal: This may be your last week but you can continue to use this week's routine to maintain your new level of fitness and well-being.

Activity: After your 5 minute warm-up walk, jog for 30 minutes. Experiment with different speeds and pace. Pat yourself on the back. You are no longer a couch potato!