Does my Body Need a Break From Running

Options
bdur76
bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
Topic is pretty self-explanatory, but I'll provide some more details!

I've been exercising six days a week since 5/4/11, and running since I completed C25K in September. My current workout program involves running three days a week. I run 6 miles Saturday, and 4 miles on Monday and Wednesday. I also do strength training and 20 minutes of cardio on the exercise bike on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Friday is my off day each week. My times have recently stopped improving and I've been feeling more fatigued during my runs. I thought with my staggered schedule I was already giving my body enough rest between workouts, but I'm starting to think a total week off of exercise to let my body heal up may be a good idea. What are everyone's thoughts?

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It's good to take some time off from exercise every few months. A week if you can stand it....but even 3-4 days can do a body good. I would say perhaps you are not eating enough to fuel as much exercise as you're doing. I see a lot of calories left on some of your exercise days.

I'm a small girl (5'5", 120lbs) and I'm eating as many or more calories than you at times! I started eating more in January (and am still losing a bit of weight even though it's basically vanity pounds at this point) and really fueling my body for my running and it has made a world of difference. I have so much energy and my running times are getting consistently faster.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's good to take some time off from exercise every few months. A week if you can stand it....but even 3-4 days can do a body good. I would say perhaps you are not eating enough to fuel as much exercise as you're doing. I see a lot of calories left on some of your exercise days.

I'm a small girl (5'5", 120lbs) and I'm eating as many or more calories than you at times! I started eating more in January (and am still losing a bit of weight even though it's basically vanity pounds at this point) and really fueling my body for my running and it has made a world of difference. I have so much energy and my running times are getting consistently faster.

Thanks for the feedback!

I must admit that I have a small case of ffg syndrome (former fat guy):wink: I actually want to I increase my muscle mass a bit, hence the strength training, but I'm obviously worried about regaining any of the fat I have worked so hard to lose.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

I must admit that I have a small case of ffg syndrome (former fat guy):wink: I actually want to I increase my muscle mass a bit, hence the strength training, but I'm obviously worried about regaining any of the fat I have worked so hard to lose.

I hear ya! After being somewhat overweight my entire life this is the first time I've ever been a "skinny girl" and the thought of eating more terrified me. I lost the majority of my weight by eating very low calorie. But now I am working out a lot and looking to accomplish some fitness goals and I need to eat right to do that. I took it a bit at a time, upping my calories 100-200 a day and keeping them at that level for a week or so before upping again. I now wear a BMF (bodymedia fit) so I know what I burn each day but prior to that I figured out my TDEE using an online calculator and took a very small deficit off that as my calorie goal.

If you are at or very near your goal weight and only looking to increase muscle/lose fat you should try to eat within a couple hundred calories of your TDEE every day otherwise with too big of a deficit you'll just lose that hard-earned muscle.

I have a couple (not the greatest) pictures on my profile page....the black sports bra/black shorts picture was of me in February. The grey sports bra/black shorts was of just a couple weeks ago. I barely lost any weight (less than a pound) but am gaining a bit of definition in my abs that I never have had before and have lost some inches off my waist and hips. All while eating more food than ever. I'm currently eating pretty much at maintenance although I don't quite have it figured out yet because the scale has moved down a bit for me.

And congrats, by the way. You've lost a ton of weight and you look fantastic! I'm always amazed by people who have lost 100+lbs - just the dedication and motivation to get where you are is awesome!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i didn't even need to read your post. If anything even thinks they need a break from running, you need a break. Running is so hard on the body, and for a big guy it's even harder. Why not cut out just the running, i don't think you need to cut out everything, unless of course you are just spent. Taking a complete week off won't hurt you as long as you eat right.

good luck.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I was going to say. If you think you need a break, you do. Lots of other things you can do to stay in shape until you're feeling ready to go back to running.
    i didn't even need to read your post. If anything even thinks they need a break from running, you need a break. Running is so hard on the body, and for a big guy it's even harder. Why not cut out just the running, i don't think you need to cut out everything, unless of course you are just spent. Taking a complete week off won't hurt you as long as you eat right.

good luck.
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I trained hard last year and ran several races within a few weeks of each other. After, I had little in the tank even though I took a day or two off after each race. I decided to take the next couple of months very easy with more cross training and less running. Once I upped my running after the couple of months, I could see the benefits. My body reaped amazing benefits from being able to take time to cross train and recover from a hard racing season.

Do what your body is telling you to do. The body really doesn't lie. Even if it's just a few days, sometimes your body just needs time to catch up.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are times that I just need to switch it up. Try a different form of cardio if you are worried that might make life a little easier - what about swimming? Works totally different muscle groups and you'll still get the sense of a workout but without the same stress on the body.
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    I use my holidays as rests from running and after a week off I always feel refreshed. Go for it!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree with all the other posts.

exercise.png