For Single Moms (nothing to do with dating)

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
I just have a question for you single moms.......do your exes (if you still have contact) do anything for you for Mother's Day? The guy I have dated a couple times has a son who lives with his mom on the other side of the country. Last night while out, Mother's day came up and he said he had to get his mom, his sister and his ex something. I think that it is great that he does that...because I used to encourage my ex husband to get something small for his ex wife from their daughter and he never thought it made sense. So, I wondered how you all handle it? Just a curioosity thing really..........

Replies

• MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My daughter's father doesn't acknowledge it because "I'm not his Mother" but, he's sort of a douche too.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    My ex husband and I still take our son out to get something for mothers and fathers day .. I hate it .. but I do it because my son wants to get him something. I wouldn't go on my own to get him something .. but I take my son and he picks it out etc .. I just buy it.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My daughter's father doesn't acknowledge it because "I'm not his Mother" but, he's sort of a douche too.

Exactly what my ex says. And my son is freaking 3, exactly what is he going to do? lol But, daycare helps him make really wonderful mother's day gifts.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If my daughter was with me during the week leading up to Mother's day, I'd take her out to get a card. I never personally sent anything to my ex.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options

Exactly what my ex says. And my son is freaking 3, exactly what is he going to do? lol But, daycare helps him make really wonderful mother's day gifts.

My dad always said this too .. he NEVER did anything to help us with mothers day .. he always said .. she's not my mom .. its up to you kids. And they were MARRIED! lol. They still are actually .. 42 years.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i think he might have the kids make cards, but i forget what he did last year. the year before, he broke into the house while the kids and i were away camping.

that was my gift from him :-) nice, huh? LOL
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I used to take my son to pick something out for Father's day/birthdays, but my ex doesn't care about stuff like that. So if little man makes something at school or expresses a desire to get something for daddy (like at Christmas) then I will. Otherwise I don't bother. It would be awkward if my ex bought me something for mothers day, but that's partially also because he never did when we were married and because I have full physical custody so it's not like my son will be at his place asking to do something for mommy.

I get the "I'm not his Mother" thing, but I'm not sure I could handle it if a man I am dating doesn't value such gestures. Been there, done that. I enjoy that cheesy stuff. If he got his ex something "from him" I might find it clingy, but "from the kids," I think is thoughtful.