Starting off

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
Great idea for a group Sevinmaya, thanks.

I guess I'll just start us off with a random topic.

Why is gaining weight your goal?

For me, I'm working really hard on gaining muscle mass (which matters to me) and I need to make a weight cut off in a few months (which I don't care about the scale but I need to meet an arbitrary number regardless)

Replies

• sevenminaya
    sevenminaya Posts: 112
    Options
    In my case I want to gain muscle, to look sexier and better. Also for health reasons.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've always been slim but healthy and healthy-looking. However, I lost 10lbs due to a medication and it put me underweight.

Since then I have been trying to gain it back by diet alone. I have not been exercising for 2 reasons: 1. fear of losing any more weight, 2. my appetite is suppressed so I barely eat my calories and wouldn't be able to eat exercise calories on top of that.

I am going off my medication in a couple weeks and I want to start exercising this summer.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've always been skinny. I started weight training and lost even more weight (didn't realize I was barely eating). I started to get carded everywhere especially since I have no boobs. Random guy stopped me because he thought I was a 14 year old skipping middle school. Every time something horrible happens to me I get even skinnier. After I got my heart broken in January this year, I lost so much weight and got so sick. I had no energy and under my eyes were dark. Everyone was getting worried about me. So for my sake, I decided I need to turn things around and put some meat on. MFP people convinced me to go for muscle building as well :) So now I LOOK more like a credible trainer :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    For me have just always been skinny. At 5'4" and 97lbs as an adult woman (with between 14-17% BF) I am way below the healthy ranges,

I would like to gain weight to have a healthier appearance. I am mostly focusing on muscle gain (though I understand I also need a little fat too), I like being small and petite, I just don't want to be so skinny anymore. I'm 6 weeks in and lifting 3x a week and doing strength training/circuit training x1. I'm up 3 almost 4 lbs in about 5 weeks, and I'm deff seeing more muscle definition coming through. I just want to like the way I look rater than hid it all the time.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I got sick of being told that I looked gaunt particularly from my mother in law (damn that women - no seriously I love her like my own mum ;) But yea, main reason for gaining is to build lean muscle mass. Initially I felt `guilty' about wanting to look a certain way but then I thought stuff it! I want that ripped look more than anything. I owe it myself for all the hard work I've put in to lose the weight I have.
  • bluetzu
    bluetzu Posts: 14
    Options
    I just want to get back to my normal size 150 lbs...
    after fighting an illness I was left at 129 lbs....
    sounds not too bad right? except I am 6'1"

pre illness 150 lbs max bench 290 3 times
    post illness 129 lbs max bench 140 2 times

surgeries to go: 2
    patients: fading fast
    eating 3,000 calories a day: atm a pipe dream
  • LikaMonster
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm skinny, but i was border line skinny. i was about 158+ pounds before working out. Since than I've gained just under 10 pounds. my goal is to be around 180. Im glad we have this group discussion because its better to get help from people going thur the same thing. Good luck guys summers coming and shirts are coming off lol.
  • springermad
    springermad Posts: 242
    Options
    I need to gain a little weight as I have lost to much recently and now I dont like the way I look. I have suffered from Anorexia now for many months if not a year now and now I have realised that I need help and I want to recover. I weighed 45kgs thats when I realised that I am to skinny, my bones stick out, I cant sit on my bottom now as it hurts to much. I want to get my curves back. I am currently a size 2
    I need all the help I can get, I know longer want to look and be like this.
    I want to be healthier as I have a dodgy heart I suffer from POTS, Cluster headaches and I have a Pheochromocytoma this is why I want to have ahealthier diet.
  • joshalapp
    joshalapp Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been skinny my whole life and quite frankly I'm sick of it!!! Lol. I'm 6'1 and 173lbs now. I was 159lbs 60days ago. I'm looking to put on another 15lbs of muscle and lean up a little more, then take it from there. Currently eating about 4500 calories/day...crazy metabolism!
    Good luck everyone with their goals!!! Some inspiring stories here!
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I'm truly honest, I'm motivated quite a lot by appearance. There's copies of Men's Health on my coffee table. It would be hard not to be. Also, I'm a bit worried that I'm a shade under weight for optimum health. I occasionally get tired earlier in the evening than I would like to, and I don't really have the energy to take part in random, ad hoc sporting stuff, like if a friend says, "we've got a kite, a board and a free afternoon" (weirdly, that has happened).
  • ShadowCutter
    Options
    I'm naturally skinny and don't mind that (it's not like I want to be fat or anything), but I'm 5'5" and only 104 ish pounds, size 0-1 jeans (I'm female btw). My elbows and wrists and fingers are super-thin and bony and I hate that, I wear bracelets and handflowers which sort of hide my skinny wrists (not exactly the reason I wear them but it's a bonus) but I've lost a couple rings because my fingers are too thin. I don't think I actually look anorexic but people (total strangers) have told me I "should eat more cheeseburgers" etc and I'm a little concerned that someone who doesn't know better might think I'm anorexic. I want to tone my arms and legs but recently had to stop my exercises for a couple weeks when I got eye muscle surgery. Should be able to get back to that now. Probably shouldn't have become a pescetarian in high school but I still don't eat beef or pork, started eating chicken and turkey again when I found out I was 102 and should be around 120. my goal weight is 115 because after 112 I won't be officially underweight but it's so hard to gain and not lose it again that I shouldn't stop at 112 but don't think I'll ever get 120.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My elbows and wrists and fingers are super-thin and bony and I hate that

I know where you're at with the wrists and elbows. I'd love to have stronger looking forearms. At the minute, I feel they let me down a bit when I wear short sleeved shirts and stuff. Being a chap, and also not into the punk rock/goth style, big bracelets and stuff probably wouldn't suit me so well.

I wonder if anyone reading this can suggest some wrist excercises that don't require gym equipment?

Edit: Re-reading the above request. Suggestions to be safe to read at work, please.
  • sevenminaya
    Options
    My elbows and wrists and fingers are super-thin and bony and I hate that

I know where you're at with the wrists and elbows. I'd love to have stronger looking forearms. At the minute, I feel they let me down a bit when I wear short sleeved shirts and stuff. Being a chap, and also not into the punk rock/goth style, big bracelets and stuff probably wouldn't suit me so well.

I wonder if anyone reading this can suggest some wrist excercises that don't require gym equipment?

Edit: Re-reading the above request. Suggestions to be safe to read at work, please.

Hold yourself up in a pull up bar (or something like it) for as long as you can hold yourself there. Probably (1min try to do more). Repeat 3 times a day. Your forearms will be huge in no time!
  • MarjorieValmonte
    Options
    New to the site/group & am glad I found that there are people like me trying to gain weight/mass. I'm a 33 yr old female & my twin sister & I have always been underweight. I'm a week short of finishing the P90X building mass routine (not the doubles routine) & have gained mass, but not much weight. I am taking a weight gainer from GNC, but I am NOT the healthiest of eaters. I started gaining weight, but then lost 5 lbs & have plateaued since then. I actually have gotten bigger in the shoulder/arm areas as I now have to wear size medium women's t-shirts, but my overall weight gain is not where I want it to be. I hope this site helps me gain the 10 lbs I need to gain. Also, is anyone else here doing a Beachbody program?
  • boocah
    boocah Posts: 7
    Options
    Naturally skinny and weak here! I'm not really concerned about what the scale says but I need to put on muscle mass and I need to gain weight to do so. If I don't explicitly focus on gaining weight I'll lose some because I don't eat enough, especially when I'm not in a good mood. If I start gaining too many inches around the waist I might end up being more concerned about that, but for the time being I've decided to focus on getting strong and healthy.
  • bciochetti
    bciochetti Posts: 35
    Options
    The biggest reason I started hitting the gym was my GF had been going to the gym and started to lift weight heavier than I could. I used to be almost underweight according to BMI (135 at 5'11' in high school) but I'm now at 162. Unfortunately I've plateaued since the start of the year and haven't gained a solid pound in 5 months. I'm not that concerned about it because I'm getting stronger, but I still think there is room for 10-15 more pound on my frame.
  • sevenminaya
    Options
    The biggest reason I started hitting the gym was my GF had been going to the gym and started to lift weight heavier than I could. I used to be almost underweight according to BMI (135 at 5'11' in high school) but I'm now at 162. Unfortunately I've plateaued since the start of the year and haven't gained a solid pound in 5 months. I'm not that concerned about it because I'm getting stronger, but I still think there is room for 10-15 more pound on my frame.

What's your routine? Maybe we can help you out of that plateau.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been a healthy skinny type of dude doing sports often when I was younger. Surgery and pneumonia not too long after made me lose bout 20 lbs. I got back to 140 then I had a shoulder injury and got a bit off it, but now I'm up to 150(5'7 tall). I feel I could still gain another 10 lbs or so, but I ain't too worried about the scale, just continuing to get stronger.
  • DGarnier
    DGarnier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always been "thin". I got up to my target weight and then had some person issues and lost 20 pounds quickly. I just want to look healthy and toned... be able to wear a bikini without looking like a scarecrow!
  • k8basinger
    k8basinger Posts: 1
    Options
    It's very comforting to get on here and see that I am not the only one struggling with these issues. I am also underweight for my height and have a very difficult time putting and keeping weight on. My response to stress has always been to lose my appetite. I would love to be able to put on 20-25 pounds and keep it on. I am 5'7 and I weigh 110. In high school I got up to 118 but that's as much as I have ever weighed. Any tips that anyone can share with me would be much appreciated.