What's your weight loss testimony?

Options
I know this seems like an odd question but I'm sure someof you out there who have one know what I'm talking about.

Several years ago I lost 55 lbs. and was down to my pre-wedding weight. Through trial and error of medications I ended up gaining it back.

Every time I think about losing weight and why it seemed so easy back then, a quiet answer comes over me and I remember. Scriptures. I was listening to the scriptures on my iPod every day while I ran and I fasted every single Sunday. I felt close to the Lord. I felt loved and valuable. I was no longer tempted by food. My weakness became my strength. And people were noticing! Nothing creates motivation like success! Still, as I ran I felt I was getting too much inspiration and too many answers all at once and decided I needed to study my scriptures where I could take notes. This did not work as well for me. I was spotty at best and then it was gone and so was my weight loss.

Over the years I have lost touch with that experience and have talked myself into a lot of self-loathing. I am trying desperately to make a comeback but those voices still ring loud and clear. I know the answers are in my daily supplication with the Lord.

Anyone else learning eternal truths through this?

Replies

• dalis012
    dalis012 Posts: 14
    Options
    I love this! When I was 20 I began a weight loss journey and back then I lost 70 pounds in 8 months. I've always asked myself that same question. Why was it so easy for me back then? And I (just like you) came to the realization that it was my spirituality. I was so close to my Father in Heaven back then. I am on my way back to being the strong person I once was. I have realized that I can only do this if I ask in prayer every day for help. I think this is what I need to learn...that I need to rely on Him through my weaknesses and they will become strengths.

I often feel incredibly blessed because of the knowledge that I have about the gospel. I am happy that I have a strong testimony that helps me through my struggles. What would I do without this knowledge? Where would I be? I am sure glad I never have to find out!

I am constantly amazed at how the scriptures uplift me and encourage me through life struggles (including and most certainly weight loss). The word of wisdom is for our benefit, and I feel so sorry that I misused food and mistreated my body. I know that if I am truly repentant I will show the Lord by fixing it, losing weight, and obtaining optimal health.

I would love to hear everyone else's testimonies as well as scriptures and talks that have encouraged you and touched your heart throughout your weight loss journey.

I love this group!!!!
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    I have had an eating disorder much of my life. I can remember wearing size 0 as a young teenager and I can also remember wearing a size 22W. I will never, ever be as small as I was when I got married at 19 years old. I was still growing! I have a million stories to tell about my relationship with food. Almost 10 years ago now, I lost 72 pounds. Then I gained, lost, gained, lost..... I am about 5 pounds from my low weight after losing the 72. I realized a long time ago that I cannot do this alone. When I am alone, I will either starve or overeat. I MUST have Heavenly Father and I MUST have others along in this journey. Otherwise, I MUST have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I too can testify that the key for me is being close to the Lord. And scriptures are a huge part of that. It seems like when I read my scriptures every single day that the Lord just feels closer. I find that I have a constant prayer in my heart too. It's like I am in regular touch with Heavenly Father. It is amazing how powerful regular prayer and scriptures are!

Thanks so much for this thread! What a powerful reminder for me!