guy is laying on the compliments really thick

Options
jend114
jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
and I don't know how to deal with it. My best friend and her friend are setting us up. We haven't met yet. We've been texting and talking on the phone and he's laying on the compliments really thick and I don't know how to deal with it. Last relationship, I got called fat pretty much everyday and my self-esteem isn't 100% again. how do I deal with this or ask him to tone it down without hurting his feelings??

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just being open with him about it and maybe letting it lead to a get to know each other better conversation.:smile:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    what kind of compliments if he hasn't met you??
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    How long until you're going to meet him. It's not a good sign that you already feel overwhelmed and you haven't met yet. How are you going to deal with him if you discover in the meeting that you don't have any chemistry?
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Better than put downs! Just be open with him about it, you'll prob find out more about him from his reaction than you will from a 100 texts :)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I foresee a future post from you...

"How do I tell a nice guy that I'm not really into him?"
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Those damn nice guys always finish last cause of some other *kitten*.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of needy. It's kind of a desperate attempt to make themselves seem nice, and maybe he is really nice, but I know it kind of lowers my interest level when people lay on the compliments too thick.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I would just laugh it off with " wow, aren't you the charmer!! lol You haven't even met me yet so it all sounds a bit like false flattery to be hoenst. If you say that in the future, then I might believe you! ;)"

IOW just be honest with him. Have a conversation about it. He might even say somthing like "forgive me, I am really nervous and have nothing better to say" :laugh:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit spooky since he hasn't met you. I'll admit when I'm really into someone, I'll complement them a lot (maybe even too much). I am in the camp that believes a woman should never have to wonder how you feel about her. If she has to analyze it, it won't end up good for me.

If it is bothering you, have a brief conversation about it. Just tell him that you appreciate complements, but he's pouring them on a bit too heavy. He should get the picture.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh. :laugh:

Yeah, follow Anapixel's advice: tell him to back off a bit with humour, and if he's as thick as his layers of compliments - i.e. he doesn't get it - then start a serious conversation.
    Nobody should be keen on someone before meeting them.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I am in the camp that believes a woman should never have to wonder how you feel about her. If she has to analyze it, it won't end up good for me.

I like that camp!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I would just laugh it off with " wow, aren't you the charmer!! lol You haven't even met me yet so it all sounds a bit like false flattery to be hoenst. If you say that in the future, then I might believe you! ;)"

Yep, I agree.

Handle it with humor.

That's how I do it.

:)
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Oops... I'm still learning how these message boards work... can't seem to get the quotes and replies right!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    90874d1328917316-where-all-nice-guys-422409_328932273812442_309839162388420_960353_1983792047_n.jpg