Salt & pepper chips from the chippy - how many calories??

Options
fontinathefox
fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
I've planned on getting a naughty portion of salt & pepper chips from my local Chinese tomorrow, but I have no idea how to input them on here! There's various entries for chip shop chips, but they vary between 400 and 950 calories! Anyone have any advice?? Apart from not having them, because they're my treat this week!

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This is a bit tricky, I have a Chinese once a week as a treat but I do guestimate using this site. It's hard to say with Salt & Pepper Chips as I would say they are usually smaller than a normal portion of chips. I'd try and weight something similar in bulk in the portion size you would have at home then just add Chinese Chips on here - I'm guessing that is a UK addition to the database as they don't refer to chips in the states. and then add some chilli, salt and pepper. I always try and break it down when I'm not sure on here and get the key ingredients in, it's the only day of the week when I'm not exact.
  • fontinathefox
    Options
    Thanks for that. Yeah I'll just have to weight them and see what the database has. I don't generally add chili or stuff like that since it's a vegetable and as far as calories goes....oh well. What throws me is the fact that I seem to remember that they're first deep-fried, then fried again with the onion and garlic - or am I just imagining this? This would make them mega-mega-unhealthy...but so tasty.
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It is best to over- estimate the calories rather than under-estimate :)
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are chip shop chips and chinese chips in the food database so I would weigh your portion that you get and calculate your calories from the database
  • fontinathefox
    Options
    There are chip shop chips and chinese chips in the food database so I would weigh your portion that you get and calculate your calories from the database

When I checked the calories ranged so much though, that I really wasn't sure what to put them as. I'm sure one portion doesn't have 950 calories!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    In my experience, well my local Chinese doesn't seem to double fry them just mix them with the chilli and other flavours. I;ve stopped getting them as it seemed to be half a tub of chilli which I can't handle.

The differences in here is quite annoying but if you look at oven chips which are better the calories should be up just a bit but the fat would be more. I wouldn't worry about it too much, get a rough idea and don't beat yourself up about it.