People making annoying comments about your height!

Options
saracatherine89
saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
Just today, I was walking across the parking lot of my work when one of the truckers on the loading dock said "Damn girl, you dont need them high heels, you tall enough!" and drove off. I was like...umm...seriously?

I don't care when people make comments about my height usually, but there's a nice way to say it and a rude way...that was the rude way! My sister and I will go out in public and people will stare at us- I'm 6'0 and she is 6'3. I cannot tell you how many times we've been called "amazon girls" or have been asked what college we play basketball for.

The weirdest thing I ever heard was when I was with my boyfriend. He's super tall as well- 6'9- and people always make comments to him when we're out on the town. Sometimes he is nice about it and sometimes he gets annoyed. We were at a Blackhawks game and a drunk guy came up to us and literally just stared in amazement...then he said "When you guys have a baby, can I have some of its genes to pass on to my children?" ....wow .

Do any of you get this as well????

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Haha wow the nerve of some people I swear! This happens to me all the time!! The most hurtful thing is hearing a guy even ONE INCH shorter saying "I'd date you if you weren't taller than me" um ouch, you're the missin out!

Most of the time I know these are well intentioned comments, just something to break the ice or get a conversation started. Sometimes it's absolutely unnecessary that they say anything at all.

The most awkward thing is when I meet a guy taller than me & my friends will call us out & say "You two should date because y'all are tall." Thanks for making things weird guys!!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I was attending a work event when two tall women in high heels came in. I quipped, no one told me it was the day tall girls were supposed to wear heels. No response. I guess they were tired of getting the comments from others all day. You could tell people were looking at them. I think it's that there were two tall women together that made it so unusual. I have to say I get a little surprised when I meet a woman taller than me; it just doesn't happen that often.

I'm pretty heavy, so I guess I don't look as tall as I really am. I don't get tall comments (or fat comments thankfully).
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The comments that irritate me are from men who are too insecure to own up to their own height so they accuse me of understating mine. I had a stranger ask me how tall I was and when I told him 6 feet, he argued with me that I had to be 6'3" because HE was 6 feet. I just wanted to say, dude there is nothing wrong with being 5'10" just OWN it for cripes sake and leave me out of your delusions!!
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I love wearing heels, but find that to 'fit' in better with the people around me I am wearing flats. I am 5'10" and with the heels on people stare annoyingly "up" at me. Of course I get those comments, but people don't say too much about my weight thankfully.

My son made a comment about when I was in choir at church I was the tallest one in there...he said "seriously mom you were a whole head above all the other women and the men were trying look around you to see the director". Fortunately with my teenaged kids and their friends, they apparently fear me because I have the tallness.

I tell people now that my reason for being is to help get things off high shelves so they don't have to find a ladder.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    All of the time!! And I swear if one more person asks me if I play basketball I will throat punch em!
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I hate when people use the words "large" or "big" to describe someone who is tall (especially when they're fairly small). It sounds like you're calling them fat. I'm 5'9 145 and even when I weighed 128 people would call me a "big girl".

I also get "have you grown lately?" a lot. Um no, I'm 26 and haven't grown since the 9th grade. But thank you for pointing it out every time I wear heels.
  • the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I feel you ladies. I work where I have to wear boots (odd because I work in a office, but that is neither here nor there) and I was once told I shouldn't wear them (even though they are dress code) because it made me too tall. :grumble: Sorry that I am now over your height requirement.
    When I was a youngin' I use to get a lot of crap for being tall. I played basketball and everyone just assumed I had to be awesome. (I never get the connection... height does not necessarily equal talent in sports)
    I have, however, learned to love being called an "amazon woman." One of my dear friends calls me that as a term of endearment. (She's actually quite jealous of my height)
    As I've gotten older I've grown to ignore comments about my height. I am so use to being tall I don't think twice about it or about what people say. (However, that is not the same for my weight... that I am not use to and hate hearing comments about)
  • Cori1975
    Cori1975 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I spent many many years trying to make myself appear shorter, so heels were never really my thing until I met my husband. Like you girls, I got the looks and the basketball references constantly. Thankfully I now work in a department with a few other tall women and I must say, it's nice.
    It's crazy how people think it's not rude to comment to a woman about how "big" she is.
  • the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I once a man said to me, "You know why you're single? It's because no man wants to climb you to get to know you." (Seriously, that is a quote) I was rather hurt after he said it but then I realized he's a freakin' moron and I got over it. (However, my friends did not get over it like I did)
  • ColleenPosley
    Options
    My favorite is "Wow, you're so tall! Do you play basketball?" No. No, I bloody do not. Don't even like the sport. {rolling my eyes} My standard reply has become "You're so short! Do you play mini golf?" I usually follow that up with "Putz." Then, happily, the conversation moves to other topics.

The other day, I sat down on a bench that WAS TOO TALL! I squee'd and my sister totally laughed at me, but it was SO much fun to dangle my feet a full inch above the floor like when I was little.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love being tall and I love the attention my height gets me, whether they're cheaky or complimentary.
    Blending in is boring, there are 7 billion people on the planet, why wouldn't you wanna stand out?
    At school I wasn't keen on my height, was taller than some of my teachers. I was always left standing at the school disco or if I got close to a boy it was always my friend they were interested in.
    It wasn't until I left school that I realised my height was actually an attractive quality.
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0". I was 18 and had just arrived in boot camp for the Navy. There was one Company Commander that really did not like me and gave me a hard time whenever possible. Our Company Commanders took us to get shoes when we were buying our dress uniforms at the commissary. As I was looking at the dress heels, the company commander that hated me (a male first class petty officer who stood about 5'6"), gets as close to my face as his little short self could manage (he was somewhere around neck level) and screamed that I was not to buy those heels. He roared that it would make me even more a freak and that he didn't want freaks in his Company. :huh: I wasn't stupid enough to get myself in trouble by opening my mouth but even then I knew he had an inferiority complex. I was embarrassed by him calling me out in front of the whole company though and I ended up buying the flats. If I could have done it over, I would have bought the heels. The push ups would have been worth it. :bigsmile:
  • ILoveBrownies2
    ILoveBrownies2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lolol! You know the way I look at it is that people must not see it as a bad thing. I do get "Wow, you're tall" alot, but you would never really hear someone say "WOW, you're fat." However, if someone makes a comment like that nowadays I shoot one right back. Mostly along the lines of "Don't hate, cause I'm tall and you ain't" (in a joking tone) and that's usually to the short dudes. The look on their faces is hilarious because honestly what can they say to that? Next time I'm gonna try "Want some? ( of my height that is), ha!" My favorite comment was when one of my Marines told me the nickname him and his buddies had for me which was Amazon Warrior Goddess, that was an awesome compliment!
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The comments that irritate me are from men who are too insecure to own up to their own height so they accuse me of understating mine. I had a stranger ask me how tall I was and when I told him 6 feet, he argued with me that I had to be 6'3" because HE was 6 feet. I just wanted to say, dude there is nothing wrong with being 5'10" just OWN it for cripes sake and leave me out of your delusions!!

Yes!!! This!!! I just roll my eyes when some 5'10" guy says, "so, you must be what, 6'3"-6'4"?" Arghh!
  • MaxwellsDemon
    Options
    When people look at me and say, How tall ARE you??? - As if giving them a number (5'11 in my case) is supposed to explain more than just looking at me! Seriously, should I walk around with a disclaimer, "sorry I look so tall, I'm really only 5'7" or whatever... Would that make them feel better? I also like to say, "- at least I don't need to rack my seat all the way up into the windshield to reach the pedals!"

Or this one: "Is it embarrassing for you to be taller than your husband?" Yes, yes it is, 'cuz I'm that shallow! That was really the top of my demands in picking a mate and father of my children, - height requirement; screw the other qualities!
  • bunnyfufu2012
    Options
    When I was in Jr High Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo came out and all i got in the halls was "DAMN thats a HUGGE B!tch!" At that time I didn't see the movie so you know what that did to my self-esteem.:brokenheart:
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All of the time!! And I swear if one more person asks me if I play basketball I will throat punch em!

Same here! When I say I haven't played basketball a day in my life, half the time they'll follow it up with "Volleyball?" Wrong again. Apparently there are only two sports tall women can play. Who knew?
  • Lauraaaaa88
    Options
    People always say ''wow aren't you nice and tall'' It drives me crazy!
    Once an old man said to me ''what's the weather like up there?''
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my grandad used to say that my parents put manure in my wellies when i was growing up!! so i use that now when people ask me how i got so tall, as if i had a choice,
  • m11ekd
    m11ekd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOW is all I can say. I only 5,7, my wife is 5,2 but I admire tall girls and feel that for the most part, guys can be insensitive and shy and feel that they must say something...but it seems say the wrong things. I am sure that you have had to put up with comments all through your life about being above the rest. Could I ask..... What kind of comments would you like from guys who admire the tall lady but can only put their foot well and truly in their mouth instead of making a complimentary comment about how wonderful you all are.

there are times I would love to remark on how wonderful a tall girl looks either in heels or without but admit that for the most part I don't as I don't want to offend.