How do you handle the omnipresent food?

Options
Once again, we had a rep come by and leave Panera bagels for the office. It sits there in the office all day, and it's all I can do to not eat it! And of course, having it in my face makes me crave it and then I'm hungry no matter what I do. How do you handle it in your office?

Replies

• khsdvm
    khsdvm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Luckily I work in a big building and the tempting food is often far away from me. That helps a lot. If its something I will continously munch on (chips, crackers, pretzels) I just try to not start. If there's other stuff around.. I try to eat something healthy first, then decide how much I really want whatever was temtping me. If I really still want it I have a small piece and adjust the rest of my food intake.
    Of course there are the days where I just pig out.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I am seriously considering putting a sign in the lobby requesting fruit and vegetable trays when folks feel the need to give gifts. I'm sure there would be a lot of discontent with that, though. :)
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You could make a "P)lease don't feed the animals" sign and put your photo with it as a joke.

We keep a stocked fruit bowl in the staff lounge and individual snack-size almonds (from Trader Joes) in "Happy Drawer."

Since becoming a vegan a year ago and now trying GF, I "can't" (choose not to) and so I don't, and it no longer "talks" to me like it used to, callling my name from the break room. This helped me hugely at Christmas when the stuff came pouring in the door -- it all had butter in it, so I didn't touch it. Now, even crackers and stuff have gluten in them unless I've brought rice crackers from home, so it's even easier.

Also, if I stay hydrated (huge struggle with this -- I often realize at 6pm I've had nothing to drink since coffee at 7am) I am not as tempted to nibble and less hungry. My mom just gave me a huge, insulated, covered cup with a built-in straw my dad was given when he was in the hospital. I use these little packets from Trader Joe's that are sweetened with stevia in lemonaid flavor (just a little in the very large glass of water, packet lasts me 2 days) to give the water a little taste and make it more appealing.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I try to keep low-calorie sweets around, and have started keeping a nalgene bottle in the fridge with water to keep myself hydrated. I've started putting K2O protein water mix in it, and this really helps curb my appetite and sweet craving. So hopefully that will help. But I will most definitely make one of those signs!!! :drinker: