Newbie - budget eating

Options
missrat
missrat Posts: 37 Member
Hi, I've just joined the groups section. I'm Ann, aged 66, from Kent. Any useful tips, especially on budget eating, welcomed.

Replies

• Hookies1992
    Options
    Buy in bulk, cook in bulk, then store it in tupperware so it's quick to hand (quicker than getting a chinese in!)
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eating on a budget is always difficult since fresh fruit and veg is so much more expensive than processed foods.

How many are you cooking for - just you, or you and a partner? Have a look at the Healthy recipe section of the BBC Good Food website - there are lots of recipes that are very tasty, and not too expensive.

If you like chicken, consider buying frozen chicken breast fillets from Farmfoods - 2 x 1kg packs for £8.00 (averages between 10 and 12 breasts) - it's much cheaper than buying the chilled ones from the supermarket, and if you freeze the chilled ones, they always stick together (unless you freeze them separately)

Also, look at doubling up on recipes, and freezing portions - not only does this tend to help save money (although not necessarily a lot), it does also mean that you can quickly defrost a meal if you've had a hard day...
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Tesco often do a side of salmon for £10, it cuts up into around 9 or 10 pieces - I put them in separate food bags and freeze them. Markets usually much cheaper for fruit and veg than supermarkets. The other thing I've found really useful is planning (roughly) what I'm going to eat for the week, that way I only buy what I need and there's no waste.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Aldis or Lidl are good for veg
  • missrat
    missrat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bought quite a lot of fruit etc. at Morrisons yesterday. I also have some frozen veg in the freezer which I will use - and fish, although I'm moving towards vegetarianism.
  • desertedisland
    Options
    www.lovefoodhatewaste.com is good for clever ideas for leftovers, cooking in bulk, etc.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    If you are a veggie, which I am not, but I do eat TESCO meat free burgers, calories are low low
    Also the new QUORN sticky BBQ fillets work out 60 something calories, and delicious, not too expensive either.

I use LIDLE and ALDI to shop in. Buy fruit and veg in season. Go to the store on the evenings when some things are reduced if you can. Mince goes a long way and sometimes you can get lean mince at a fair price in LIDLE. I have 4 adults to feed and we have 200g of mince each I bulk it out with veggies if its a cottage pie, or if spag bol, lots of mushrooms, peppers etc.

Pick up some Tesco value chicken breasts and make a curry, that's cheap and easy and any leftovers you can freeze xx
  • Ihatecomicsans
    Options
    I use a local farm shop for fruit and veggies, much cheaper than the supermarket. Also, don't forget the frozen veg and tinned veg that are there, you can buy value versions of these.

I always meal plan too, that helps enormously both with calorie watching and also budget. x
  • cupotea
    cupotea Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    www.lovefoodhatewaste.com is good for clever ideas for leftovers, cooking in bulk, etc.

Ooh that looks great, thanks for posting!

OP I try and cook in bulk and freeze leftovers and if I have stuff in the fridge that's about to go out of date I try and get creative, sometimes the combinations sound a bit odd but end up lovely (then there's the other times... but lets not dwell on that).
    Also we have a local fruit and veg stall thats sooo much cheaper (and tastier) than the supermarkets!