Belts

Options
FoxyMcDeadlift
FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
Im getting to the point where im thinking i need to invest in a serious weights belt, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good site for some thick, leather lifting belts. Im uk based but dont mind paying shipping for good gear.

Cheers!

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got mine from elite fts while it was on sale for $50. Nice and thick, it is breaking in really well. APT is probably a solid bet, I hear good things about Inzer as well other than shipping from then takes awhile. As for the UK stuff I have no idea how shipping is for any of the above and I don't know of any UK sites.
    Here is the one I bought and am currently using.
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3495
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this week that I need to buy myself a belt instead of using the ones at my gym & can train elsewhere :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I've read many articles that say you shouldn't use belts. Instead, develop enough strength in those weaker muscles so you can lift without the belt. Just a thought. If you choose to use belts, Harbinger and Schiek are the most popular brands.

Although you might benefit from using lifting straps from time to time, especially if you notice that your grip strength gives out on you before the muscles in your back or hips feel as if they've been fully challenged.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My friend bought a harbringer belt, it broke the first lifting session. Those kind of belts aren't even close to the quality of one from a company that understands powerlifting. They are the most popular ones that you will see in sporting good stores and are much cheaper. Developing the core during lifts like squats and deadlifts is essential so you don't want to use a belt all the time. On the other hand if you are really pushing yourself or have already exhausted your core, then that is where the belt comes in.
    I would recommend the 10mm ones, 13 mm is probably overboard and a pain to break in and use regularly.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with a belt unless you are going balls to the walls. Build that core first.

Personally though, when using a belt I prefer the wider ones.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Depends on what stage you are at with your lifting. If you do a good long, slow progression in weights (eg SL5X5 program or similar) you should be able to build strength in your lower back to deal with the weights. Building up your core strength is one of the big keys to lifting in my very humble opinion. Unless you are at the stage of lifting competitively (or equivalent weights) and are at real risk of popping something, I'd focus on good technique and posture and forget about the belt.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Depends on what stage you are at with your lifting. If you do a good long, slow progression in weights (eg SL5X5 program or similar) you should be able to build strength in your lower back to deal with the weights. Building up your core strength is one of the big keys to lifting in my very humble opinion. Unless you are at the stage of lifting competitively (or equivalent weights) and are at real risk of popping something, I'd focus on good technique and posture and forget about the belt.

I agree with this, I use a belt in comp and on max lift days when I get to 90%+. It's not to hide a weak core, its to get that bit bigger number.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    My numbers are good, i want the belt for max effort sets not for work sets and only really for squats. A lot of people have been pointing me to the Inzer forever 10mm.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    My numbers are good, i want the belt for max effort sets not for work sets and only really for squats. A lot of people have been pointing me to the Inzer forever 10mm.

Can you borrow anyone else's to try out? People seem to have different preferences. I like the ratchet styles ones, whereas some people like the more traditional buckle stlye ones or the other fixed buckle style ones. I realise none of those descriptions are really helpful, sorry :(
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Thats cool, i know exactly what you mean. My friend has a nice 10mm Lever belt, but my assumption was a well broken in belt is tailored to the person, like a pair of shoes. Im doing a 1RM Squat test on Monday, maybe i'll borrow it
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Thats cool, i know exactly what you mean. My friend has a nice 10mm Lever belt, but my assumption was a well broken in belt is tailored to the person, like a pair of shoes. Im doing a 1RM Squat test on Monday, maybe i'll borrow it

That could be true, but I am a cheapskate who hasn't bought their own belt yet. I just use the ones at my gym, they have a range of good ones of different types. I like the lever ones, I can't remember what brand they are.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lever belts are a pain to adjust. Some people like their belts tighter for DL & looser for SQ. Unless you carry a toolkit to the gym, this is not possible with a lever belt. They wear out quick too.
    Good old normal buckle belts are the most reliable and of course adjustable.

And no, using a belt for heavy lifts does not weaken your core. It's for support. If you feel you need one, use it. If you don't, good for you. It's all personal preference.
    I haven't met anyone ever that squats or deadlifts to work their core.