birth control and weight loss...

Options
I was diagnosed with pcos about 2 years ago. I have not taken medications for it because of frustrations with the drs. i've been seeing. However, I recently had my second miscarriage which ended by having surgery to remove my ectopic pregnancy and my left fallopian tube. Now I will be going to the dr. on thursday for a post op check up. I told my husband that I do not want to go through another miscarriage, I can't. I want to get healthy and then continue trying to have children. I am going to ask the dr. about putting me on birth control but I am worried that I will not be able to lose weight being on it. I am also going to ask about metformin because I heard that this helps a lot with losing weight with pcos. Can anyone related to this? I need advice...

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost weight fine on birth control - it was actually when I went off of it that I had a hard time. I think it's because the PCOS symptoms are masked somewhat when you are on the pill. In other words, the hormones are not so wildly out of control. (I THINK! but I'm not a doctor so I don't really know.

I am on Metformin, as are many women in this group. I've been on for about three weeks. It has helped with my appetite definitely. I think I am also seeing results a little quicker than I had been, although I was losing weight already when I went on it.