Too much Fat???

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Getting NO response on the boards with this one!!

Gainers...where are your fat levels at?? I can't usually keep mine under or on level, I know I have some good fats (I uses olive oil in my cooking and baking 90% of the time , but I also have a lot of dairy fats - 1.5% milk I drink a lot of it!, 2-5% yoghurts (atleats 125g a day) and butter (usually 10-15g of butter a day,) plus at least 1 egg a day too (are these considered bad fats??? I love my dairy!!) and is it ok that I'm usually between 20-30 over my limit??? My limit is 76, I tend to be around 90-100. I was fine a few weeks back, but was also eating a little less too, the more I eat, the harder it seems to be to keep the fat levels in check.

A little history for those who don't know ;)) I'm 5'4", 101lbs right now (stared at 97) Fat % 14-17% says the calculators, my scale says 15% IDK what to believe. I'm actively trying to gain weight, I'm lifting 3x a week, I eat 2280 a day, plus 250-300 extra on exercise days. I don't want to just gain a whole bunch of fat, so I'm trying to do this in a healthy way. But these red fat numbers worry me!

Advice please.

Thanks!
Meg

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    when it comes to my dairy i try to eat as many calories as i can but i try to stay lower on the fats for my heart health - but remember that you have your good & your bad fats -good fats are important for your brain & nervous system

i find a lot of people seem to be more concerned about the look of their body rather than their health -it's important to consider both
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thank you but that's kind of the point of my question. As I'm eating over 2000 cals a day,and trying to keep it healthy(ish) I am still accumulating a lot of fats from my dairy intake, so are they considered bad fats?
    when it comes to my dairy i try to eat as many calories as i can but i try to stay lower on the fats for my heart health - but remember that you have your good & your bad fats -good fats are important for your brain & nervous system

i find a lot of people seem to be more concerned about the look of their body rather than their health -it's important to consider both
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    you have to look at what kind of fat you're taking in
    read the labels:

unsaturated (monounsaturated -Olives, ground nut oil, and avocados & polyunsaturated -Oily fish (sardines, mackerel, trout, salmon and herring), safflower oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower oil) :good

saturated (meat, dairy products, processed foods) : bad

trans (processed foods, baked goods): very bad

the only argument i have read about eating too many good fats is that the calories add up...but since we are trying to gain weight that isn't an issue...i haven't read any other negatives but that doesn't mean there aren't any

and of course there are the obvious health problems with the bad fats

as far as what is too much...i don't know...this is as far as my knowledge goes
    perhaps someone else can answer that
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks so much rae! I think I'm about 50/50 with the good and bad. I don't have much very bad. Think my butter spread and cheese are the "badies" might look into a lower fat butter option at least. Thanks for the help!
  • bluetzu
    bluetzu Posts: 14
    Options
    I personally don't worry about natural fats like from butter and beef i try to avoid the unnatural ones like margarine but really it comes down to your cholesterol have it checked once a year but fats are a widely debated topic i have a friend that is 46 and eats a whole stick of butter a day his cholesterol is normal and he is as healthy as an ox