Calorie Intake?

Options
pinkita
pinkita Posts: 779 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to officially start SL on Sunday. I read and printed the SL Summary and just skimmed through the ugly PDF.

I didn't see specific info about how many calories to eat while doing SL. I have no idea what my daily limit should be once I start so I'd really appreciate some guidance from all the experienced lifters.

My stats:
- 39 y/o
- Wt: 172.4 (as of 5/5/12)
- 65" tall
- BMR: Per MFP: 1522, Per Katch-McArdle formula on fat2fitradio.com: 1440
- Average calories burned in a day (according to my BodyBugg): 1800 (this was on a weight training day)

Thanks so much!

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on what your goals are. If you want to lose weight you'll need a slight deficit, nothing too extreme or else you'll stall on your workouts.

I'd find what your TDEE is (basically your TDEE is your "maintenance" level on MFP) then subtract 10-20% from it to create a deficit, try not to go below 1450 cals though. On lifting days you should eat a little more. I personally add an extra 200 calories on my lifting days.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on what your goals are. If you want to lose weight you'll need a slight deficit, nothing too extreme or else you'll stall on your workouts.

I'd find what your TDEE is (basically your TDEE is your "maintenance" level on MFP) then subtract 10-20% from it to create a deficit, try not to go below 1450 cals though. On lifting days you should eat a little more. I personally add an extra 200 calories on my lifting days.

Thanks. My goal is definitely to lose fat! I get really confused by the TDEE thing and how to calculate my 'activity level." My BodyBugg (even on days I do a 35-min kettlebell workout), it says I only burn 1800. Other TDEE calculators I've tried online give me a much higher TDEE estimate, even when I select "sedentary." I have a mostly sedentary job but I currently do 3 days of kettlebell workouts with a 20# and a 35# bell, but I want to try SL to really shape my body and get rid of the flab!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Huh, I don't know. I thought body bugs were supposed to be pretty accurate but that seems pretty low. Maybe try eating the 1800 and see how you do.