Ice Baths - How to?

Options
RGroenland
RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone, I hope you are well and running happy.
I was told to do an ice bath after my long run this Saturday to help with my calf pains/numb feet.
If you do them could you offer some advice?
A. How long after I finish my run should I wait to do the bath?
B. Will a couple trays of ice cubes work or should I really go buy a bag of ice?
C. Tips for warming up after the bath? I am perpetually cold naturally. would it be a bad idea to warm up too quickly afterwards?
Thank you for your help.

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have no idea....I'm perpetually cold as well and there's no way in hell you'll ever catch me doing an ice bath, I don't care how beneficial it might be. I've run 4 marathons and have never subjected myself to such torture.
  • itisjoan
    itisjoan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ice baths are the most dreaded but also the best things after a long run. I have only done them 4 times. The first was after my first 20 miler and then the other 3 were after a triple marathon weekend. The ice bath was painful but got me through to the next race.

Sit in the the tub and start with tepid water. Slowly start adding the cold water in and then plug the drain and let the water cover the top of your thighs. Dump the ice in. I used a 2.5 gallon bag of ice. Sit for about 10 min. I had on a fleece sweatshirt while doing it.... and a beer in my hand.

I have never taken a hot bath right after. I usually wait a few minutes til i get feeling back in my legs.
  • Meegz84
    Meegz84 Posts: 74
    Options
    .... and a beer in my hand.

I can picture me doing this also. lol.
  • itisjoan
    itisjoan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    .... and a beer in my hand.

I can picture me doing this also. lol.

I tried it with a hot chocolate and it didn't have the same affect. :happy:
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually get a couple of the smaller bags of ice and add them as the water is filling. Stinks to climb in, but I just take a deep breath and go for it. As the other poster said, I normally wear a sweatshirt, but I also go for a hat, a cup of hot tea and I normally wear compression shorts (mentally helps me feel like my important areas aren't going to freeze). In terms of warming up afterwards, I just take off anything that got wet and quickly get into sweatpants, thick socks, etc and have another cup of hot tea (and I've been known to climb into my bed to wrap all the covers around myself :smile: )

I have also tried using REV epsom salt baths (in lukewarm/warm water) afterwards (http://www.rev-life.com/index.php/about-rev/for-athletes). There are several articles that warn against hot tubs after distance running, and I believe the primary reason is dehydration, but I've always figured my warm baths don't really count as a hot tub (obviously a choice where you need to read up on the pros/cons and make your own decision)... I have mostly converted to epsom baths, but there are times where an ice bath is really the best way to go- typically when addressing injuries/injury prevention.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I too use epsom salts in a warm (NOT hot) bath. I did an ice bath once and didn't use any ice. It was in the winter so the bath water was already frigid from being in the pipes so I ran the cold water straight into the tub then got in. I had a warm shirt on and even used a space heater that was aimed at my face. I secretly hoped the space heater would help my legs not feel so cold but it didn't work (which yes, would have defeated the purpose but it was so cold I was begging for anything!!)

Do the ice bath right after your run, let your HR go down a little bit but the point is to shock the muscles, so they still need to be warm when you get in.

I found that I felt better for the rest of the day but didn't necessarily feel better the next day. Studies have shown it improves how athletes feel but on the aggregate does not improve performance. That's not to say it doesn't help any individuals, and you may benefit greatly from it, but if you don't feel a difference and you hurt just as bad the next day as if you hadn't done the ice bath, don't feel bad about not torturing yourself in the future.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i recently started doing this and it is really great, you recover much quicker after the run as a result

here is a great blog post with a how to which had a few suggestions that are pretty easy to figure out but that hadnt occured to me like budling up your upper body

take a look
    http://www.sweatonceaday.com/2011/07/how-to-take-an-ice-bath.html
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I used to use epsom salts in a warm bath, and I found I hurt worse. I don't necessarily do "ice" baths, but I do use as cold a water as I can stand. Also, you may want to consider wearing a hat, some gloves, arm warmers, things like that. Anything you can put on to keep the rest of your body warm.

Another trick I've recently discovered and now swear by - I mean I swear by them! - is recovery socks.

They're expensive as all get out, they look ugly as sin, and they're a pain in the tuckus to put on. But boy-howdy, do they make me feel soooooooooo much better the day after. I love love love my recovery socks!

Good luck.
  • stonea22
    stonea22 Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't do ice baths as much as I should but they are great for recover, but really suck. I just fill the tub with cold water, no added ice. My water is cold enough. I wear a fuzzy sweatshirt I don't mind getting a little wet. I drink hot tea or hot chocolate and I set my iphone timer for 10 mins. At the end, I get out and let me feet regain a little feeling and then take a warm shower. I think it is hardest on my toes, my legs adjust.

Good luck.
  • RGroenland
    RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Saturday was a 22km Run in the sun followed by my first ice bath. I took everyone's suggestions and it wasn't as horrible as I expected. I just sat there watching the timer run out! brrrr.
    I did notice some swelling in my toes later that evening... I hope there is nothing wrong. I wasn't very sore or stiff the next day. But today's run was extra tough! I think I will keep the ice bath routine up for the next little while and hope it helps.
    Thank you again for your time
  • AuntNynah
    AuntNynah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did my first ice bath this past weekend after a long run, and followed most of the suggestions mentioned here, but would add that I had my smartphone to surf the web to make the time go faster. I was wondering how long one should sit in the bath, I lasted almost 20 minutes.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    the general rule with icing things is usually 20 minutes on 20 minutes off so i assume that would be true for the ice bath as well.