Frame type - thoughts?

Options
I am looking for some opinions. I am a mountain bike rider who has moved my cycling to the road. Currenly riding my GT MTB still, using 1.5 " slicks now that I'm road riding. I have about 740 miles in the last 3 months and am now getting in pretty good condition. On the road with rolling hills I am averaging 15 - 18 plus MPH on rides of 15 - 25 miles. My longer rides, obviously the averages start to decrease. I am down to 252 lbs and probably will end up in the 230s for my goal weight, so basically I'm a fairly big dude. I also lift and have maintained decent muscle mass during my weight loss. And the last bit of history is that I ride as aggressively as I am able AND the local roads can have their fair share of bumps and assorted crap ie. no perfect surfaces where I ride.

My buddy is a pretty serious rider and he says go for a very good carbon frame and upgrade the components as the wallet permits. In doing some reading I have determined that there are merits to other frame materials as well. I am thinking that steel is too heavy and defeats the purpose of moving to a road bike, although the ride is good and durability wonderful. Aluminum, titanium, carbon, steel, a combination? What do you think folks?

Basically, If I go with a good carbon frame I don't want to dump the cash and then have it only last me 5 years because of my big frame and aggressive riding still. Or will it last me 20 years bar getting clobbered by a vehicle serious crash.

Last bit of info... I have been thinking along the lines of a Specialized Roubaix. There is also a Giant dealer and Fuji dealer nearby, probably some others.

All thought are helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I am 6'1" and 248lbs right now, so like you I am a big guy.
    I am not sure I would ride full carbon right now, but I am riding a Kona Zing Deluxe.

It is an aluminum frame (I like stiff frames) and a carbon fork, with 105/Ultegra components.
    The factory RS10 wheeles (16 spoke front 24 spoke rear) have been holding up very well and have not broken a spoke on them yet.

I have no doubt this bike is going to last me a long time. so I would recomend having a look at one if you have a Kona dealer near you.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and hovering around 258. I ride a Specialized Cirrus Comp; Aluminum frame with a carbon fork. It's marketed as a hybrid, but has more road bike than MTB in it.I have done a little bit of single track on it, but mostly ride on county roads, with chunks missing out of them. I love it, because of the more upright geometry. It has these inserts in the fork that absorb/reduce road vibration. The higher end one has the inserts in the frame as well. It really seems to help.
    Your best bet is to try them all and go with the one that fits you the best.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    im 6'4 220 and i love my XXL spec crux frame
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Good comments. Keep them coming. This is already giving me a lot to think about. I'll go check out the Kona if I can find em nearby, also will check out the aluminum frames with carbon forks. The cyclocross bikes seem pretty cool also.

Are there any big guys out there riding full carbon? What do ya say?
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I am 6" so quite a bit shorter and lighter. However value for money, you can't beat Giant. I am riding a Tcr advanced, it's a full carbon frame with ultegra components.

Most middle priced bikes being in the $1500-$3500 range all come from Tawain. Which means some of them are coming out of the Giant factory.

My first road bike was an alloy frame with carbon forks and rear stays. It gave ridigity with hard acceleration however you didn't feel every bump because of the alloy. Be aware that with carbon you are going to feel every bump, nick and pot hole in the road, there is no give in the frames. However they are lighter which doesn't mean they go faster. That depends on the engine.

Hope this helps
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Kupe, very helpful input as well. So, it sounds as if you're suggesting that I not rule out the aluminum. I am definitely down with a rigid frame that doesn't translate every single bump. My same friend tells me that Giant frames are used by a lot of non Giant bike sellers. He is a Giant advocate as well. I have not yet met with the local Giant dealer, but I hear they are good folk.

What really is the weight difference between an aluminum and carbon frame anyway. I will never weight 150 lbs so maybe I shouldn't worry about shaving off a little frame weight? But I don't know the facts about the weight. Gotta pay another visit to the dealerships...

I did a great loop yesterday on my 2 ton mountain bike. It was 26 miles, lots of hill climbs, and it took me about 90 minutes. I started to get an achy knee the second half but the roads were awesome, little traffic, great scenery.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    To be honest, these days, they can engineer a carbon frame to be as hard or soft as they want. There ARE some real tooth-looseners out there, but equally, there are plenty of frames with a good deal of "vertical compliance" engineered in. Same with Aluminium, the Canondale Synapse's Giant Defy's and Specialized Secteur's for example are actually engineered for a degree of comfort, without wasting energy flexing from side to side. On the other hand, I've a Planet-X Team SL, and it's got as much vertical compliance as a concrete block. The one material that's always touted when people are looking for longevity and a degree of comfort is Titanium. Even this wonder material CAN however be engineered to give whatever feel the designer wants though.

Top and bottom of it is, you need to find a reputable bike shop, and go try a few bikes, different materials, and make up your own mind, because only your *kitten* can tell you if you're going to be comfortable on the bike!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    To be honest, these days, they can engineer a carbon frame to be as hard or soft as they want. There ARE some real tooth-looseners out there, but equally, there are plenty of frames with a good deal of "vertical compliance" engineered in. Same with Aluminium, the Canondale Synapse's Giant Defy's and Specialized Secteur's for example are actually engineered for a degree of comfort, without wasting energy flexing from side to side. On the other hand, I've a Planet-X Team SL, and it's got as much vertical compliance as a concrete block. The one material that's always touted when people are looking for longevity and a degree of comfort is Titanium. Even this wonder material CAN however be engineered to give whatever feel the designer wants though.

Top and bottom of it is, you need to find a reputable bike shop, and go try a few bikes, different materials, and make up your own mind, because only your *kitten* can tell you if you're going to be comfortable on the bike!

Thebigyin is spot on, you can listen to everybodies opinoion however at the end of the day it's all about how you feel on the bike. I wouldn't worry too much about bike weights, unless you intended on becoming a professional most bikes are in the 7.5kg - 9kg range but that also depends on the size of the bike. Smaller frame bikes = lighter, larger frame bikes = heavier.

What you should also take into consideration is what group set you are looking at because that's going to play into how much the bike is going to cost. However as everything on a bike can be upgraded, it might be worth your while getting a really good frame with ok components and then upgrade as the budget allows.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Thanks Yin, Kupe. Seems like I've got some research done, now the final research will be in riding some bikes.

With that said, just finished cooking/eating Mother's Day dinner for my honey. Now, out to pound on my 10 ton MTB. Later.
  • Tcormie
    Tcormie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 7" 245 as of today...IMHO carbon is great if you weigh in at jockey weights. Anything over 200 and you are asking for trouble, think about it, the difference in weight between similarly equipped carbon, aluminum, and steel bikes is 2-3 lbs that's it. If you are pushing those average speeds on a mountain bike you have the engine already. Look into a steel frame, Independent Fabrication USA, Waterford USA, and Gunnar a division of Waterford make incredible frame sets and will actually fit you. As opposed to being jammed into a frame that does not, is not half as durable and weighs in at two full water bottles less in weight. Oh and I ride steel a Gunnar with Dura ace i'm 53 years old and ride a solid B pace.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Tcormie, thanks for the great input. One problem I have had in coming up with your conclusion is not being able to actually find out the weight differences btween the different frame types. I will never weigh jockey weights, in fact would look next to emaciated if I ever got down to 220 (I don't plan to go that low.) So the power to push a few extra pounds of bike is there. Plus, I beat the heck out of my stuff and would hate to damage a $2500 frame - even though I'm sure the engineering is awesome. But that's me were talking about, I know me and I will always be hard on my stuff, just like my clothes, my workboots, etc....

All of this input is helping me greatly. When I buy, I will be informed. Thanks, folks.

I'll look into those frames you spoke of. Is there any way to ride something like that, or do you have to build one and cross your fingers. I'll get on the net now and see what I can see.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'7 240... My 63cm Cannondale CAAD 10 is aluminum... No complaints.

Lifetime warranty on the frame anyway.

ps - wheels are going to be your biggest issue, especially if you ride heavy in the saddle. Get the stock wheels tensioned (yes, even brand new) after putting a few miles on them and they will last a lot longer.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I ride a Specialized Roubaix and I'm a big fan of that bike. But if I may be the oddball here, I adore a good steel frame. Nothing that I have ever ridden can touch the feel of a high quality steel bike. Sure, there is a weight penalty, but with the higher end steel bikes the penalty is not that bad and the ride is in a class by itself. I know that most or at least many will disagree with me, but I stand my ground; well done steel is pure bliss. I'm not downing any other material, it's is just that at this stage in life I'll accept a small weight penalty for a great ride. Yeah, I'll be a little slower up the hills, but enjoyment is a big part of the picture too.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Are there any big guys out there riding full carbon? What do ya say?

My DH started on his Spec. Roubaix at about 250...he loves it and it's been a great bike for him. He said it rides like a fast sofa.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I finally got to the Specialized shop for some test rides. I rode a Secteur (aluminum) and a Roubaix (carbon.) I did like both bikes very much but did feel a noticeably improved ride on the carbon Roubaix. I will not assume that this is the case with all alum vs. carbon however - thanks to the great advice from you all. interestingly enought, the Secteur was the top of the line with 105 componentry and the Roubaix was the entry level with the Tiagra componentry. I was by no means let down by the Tiagra, that Roubaix felt awesome. I do want to ride the CAAD10 possibly the Synapse, and get on some Giants as well.

I do have the bug, those road bikes were AWESOME.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I was by no means let down by the Tiagra

and on a brand new bike you won't be, but in a few thousand km, you may be.
    If you ride a lot, the 105/Ultegra will hold up better in the long run than the Tiagra will. besides, if you are going to invest the money in a full carbon frame why put one of the lowest end components on it, you can change them later, but it can cost more and can be a pain.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I do want to ride the CAAD10 possibly the Synapse, and get on some Giants as well.

If you're trying the Roubaix and CAAD10 I insist you try the SuperSix, too...same geo as the CAAD, but in carbon. I :love: mine.
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The Specialized Roubaix is a great frame...the geometry is fairly aggressive yet forgiving. You'll enjoy riding this on for years.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    If you DO want a carbon frame thats built for Big Strong Guy's, and is reasonably forgiving, but still has plenty of speed, then probably one of the best options is the Cervelo R3... I've been in contact with them, told them my weight and build and the reply was "If Thor Hushovd and Fabian Cancellara couldn't smash one of them on the Paris Roubaix and an entire seasons worth of training, We're happy for ANYONE to ride them - hence there's no rider weight restriction on them, and we'll honour our lifetime warranty" I've test ridden one, and must admit, I'm sorely, sorely tempted.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you DO want a carbon frame thats built for Big Strong Guy's, and is reasonably forgiving, but still has plenty of speed, then probably one of the best options is the Cervelo R3... I've been in contact with them, told them my weight and build and the reply was "If Thor Hushovd and Fabian Cancellara couldn't smash one of them on the Paris Roubaix and an entire seasons worth of training, We're happy for ANYONE to ride them - hence there's no rider weight restriction on them, and we'll honour our lifetime warranty" I've test ridden one, and must admit, I'm sorely, sorely tempted.

I hope you wouldn't be sore mate; Carbon frames are very forgiving ;o)