New and looking for diet advice

Options
I have struggled since I was about 12 with my weight. I tried to ask my doctor what I could do time and time again. He constantly told me I was fine. I was dieting by 13 and have never eaten much and always been a healthy eater. I finally found answers when I talked to my obgyn at 17. I am now 21 just began going to the endocrinologist. I take metformin now and was recently put on victoza. I have lost 7 lbs in three weeks with victoza and I'm hoping it continues. I was hoping to also figure out a diet that works well with pcos. I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice. Thanks!

Replies

• bijoux2711
    bijoux2711 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi there. My story is similar to yours however at 21 I was put on Metformin, found it too hard, and quit, 3 days later. 9 years and 100lbs heavier, I decided to give it another go. It's been incredibly challenging at times but it's totally worth it. I've lost 99lbs in 8 months by exercising and keeping my carbs to less than 150g daily. Lots of people swear by the Paleo diet but for sustainability I've decided that no food is off limits. I eat 5-6 times a day with a serve of protein and low GI carbs in each serving. I don't have processed food and I drink lots of water. I don't feel deprived or hungry which is fabulous. At the end of the day, no one diet/eating plan fits all and it's about finding out what works for you and your body. Good luck!
  • xoraechel21xo
    Options
    I have been told I need to eat six times small meals a day. However. I work full time and go to school full time and also have another part time job and it's so hard to fit all of that in. It also makes it hard to steer away from bad quick choices on school nights. It seems nothing good for you is quick and easy. Thank you for the advice! And congrats on the weight loss. In jumping for joy with my recent 7lbs so that is very good to hear! I have downloaded an gi app for my phone to help me figure out good choices. What is your opinion on apple cider vinegar pills? Thanks!

Oh and metformin did not help me lose any weight it's the victoza that is helping me.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    What's Victoza?
  • bijoux2711
    bijoux2711 Posts: 28
    Options
    Eating 6 meals a day does require a lot of thought and planning, particularly when you're juggling so many responsibilities but it doesn't have to be overly complicated. A snack can be a yoghurt or 10 almonds or some carrot sticks & salsa. If you're pressed for time, I highly recommend batch cooking on weekends. I rarely make a meal without double/tripling the quantities for the freezer. Salad for the week can be prepared and stored in plastic containers in the fridge (without dressing). Make a few days worth of baked oatmeal or pre boil eggs. It's so much easier, cheaper and better for you than eating on the go.
  • xoraechel21xo
    Options
    Its in injectable medicine usually used or people with diabetes but has also been used for people with metabolic issues. It is a protein that people with pcos are lacking. That is how my dr described it to me.