Parents Foot the Bill to Freeze Daughters' Eggs

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/us/eager-for-grandchildren-and-putting-daughters-eggs-in-freezer.html?_r=1&smid=FB-nytimes&WT.mc_id=US-E-FB-SM-LIN-SEG-051412-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Honestly, this is just creepy to me. Since when is my decision to reproduce or not a "family decision"? If my parents want another baby around, they are more than welcome to adopt one.

Am I the only one totally weirded out by this?

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Well, it kinda sounded like the women want it, and their parents are being supportive (emotionally and financially in some cases). Now, if it were the grandparents wanting to freeze the eggs because THEY wanted to raise the baby; then that's creepy!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    After reading the article, it wasn't as strange as I thought it would be. Although I do think there should be some type of reasonable age limit to decide that you might be too old to have a child. Maybe it's because my own mom is 42 that it seems like such an old age to start motherhood to me, but still.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Not creeped out at all. I've considered freezing my eggs if in another five or so years I'm not in a position to have kids/with the right person etc by then. It's a very expensive process and if my mother offered to pay part, I'd be very grateful that she was helping me financially to keep the door open on one of my dreams, as I would be if she offered to pay part of a down-payment on a house or something of that sort. As with any financial 'gift' from one's parents/family, there is of course the potential for emotional pressure to be applied, but I'd say the potential benefit outweighs that risk. I suspect "a family decision" was a poor choice of phrase, though!

honeysprinkle - my mother was 34 when she had me, 39 when she had my sister, so 42 doesn't seeem that old to me! Personal experience conditions us more than we know on this issue, I think. :laugh: