Training/Daily Runs

Options
lstd
lstd Posts: 40
How do you train for your next upcoming race? How many days a week do you currently run? How many miles do you do on a typical run (training or daily run)?

Replies

• JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I run at least 3 days a week....usually doing 3.1 miles. I find myself wanting to run daily, but I gotta have some days off to rest my body.
    What do you do to get ready for your 5k's?
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    How do you train for your next upcoming race? How many days a week do you currently run? How many miles do you do on a typical run (training or daily run)?

I run at least 5 days a week, now no less then 6 miles which I just increase in the past month and half... I wanted more... I needed more and a friend of mine has enderance and I had the speed so we trained together increasing one mile a week..and did other cardio and strength training on the other days... It was affective and awesome... I did my first half marathon with this training. I did this with Bizeebec..
  • lstd
    Options
    I run at least 3 days a week....usually doing 3.1 miles. I find myself wanting to run daily, but I gotta have some days off to rest my body.
    What do you do to get ready for your 5k's?

Actually i just downloaded a couch to 10k app.. I really liked the fact that some one was telling me to run and then to walk and since it is great for the heart rate I figured how could I go wrong.. it seems to have helped knock mins off my race time each race..
    the app i use is for the iphone but I believe it is an android app too.. its c10k it is by the breast cancer research foundation.. LOVE LOVE this app since I can listen to my music and the lady comes over the music... I also am starting some strength training as I have a few friends that said that would help me in endurance... hope that helps
  • lstd
    Options

for training I have downloaded an app called 10k for pink.. right now I'm at 4.4 miles and i have only been doing 3-4 days.. I am trying this week to go to 5 days a week..
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    Options
    In preparation for my last race I was running 6 miles twice a week and a long run on Saturday (adding a mile each saturday up to 12 miles) until race day which is 13.1
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half (eeeeeek!). I'm doing a 17-wk training program (http://www.logyourrun.com/index.php?option=com_program&task=view&Itemid=65&id=3848) and am currently on wk 2.

The thing that I like about this program is how gradual it builds up the miles. :)
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Right now, I am prepping for a 10k on May 26th, so I make sure to get in 3-4 runs a week, usually a long run on Sunday (8-10k). My other runs are usually a 5k, a 3.5 for intervals, and I like to do something different for the other (usually a 15-minute row, 15-minute stationary cycle, and a 15 minute treadmill run). I try to keep it fun so I'll keep at it - and I need to keep at it, because it's my therapy! lol :tongue:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those "bad" runners who don't actually train for a race per say. I run 4-5 days a week. I alternate long run days with short run days- and add a mile to my longer runs each week. So this week I will run M/T/Th/F M/TH will be 6 mile days and T/F will be 4 mile days. Next week my long run days will be 7 miles and my short runs will stay at 4 miles. Then I will probably hold steady for a week or only increase a half mile, depending on how I feel. I run 5K's at least once a month (next one is 6/16) and my first half is in September. I also try to get some intervals in on my short run days (balls to the wall for a minute then back to conversation running for 5 min. Then another balls to the wall for a minute). I road run so just watch my watch for times.
  • lsorensen130
    lsorensen130 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week, with one of those runs being a "long run", which typically is 60-90 minutes. I spend another 2 days doing 30 minutes of other cardio (stair climbing, elliptical, cycling) and 30 minutes of strength training.
  • flemmish51
    Options
    I run 4 days a week, sat 10, sun 6, tues 7, wed 7. Weight train mon and fri. The rest of the time I'm eating... race once in a blue moon. will be 61 this week. hope to keep this up for another decade or 2 :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I run four days a week. I'm following Hal Higdon's novice 2 half marathon training program. So currently this week I'm doing a 3 mile, 4 mile, 3 mile, then a 5 mile long run on Saturdays. My weekend run bumps up by a mile every week and my midweek run will eventually bump up to 5 miles.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I run 4 days a week, sat 10, sun 6, tues 7, wed 7. Weight train mon and fri. The rest of the time I'm eating... race once in a blue moon. will be 61 this week. hope to keep this up for another decade or 2 :)

That's awesome!
  • m00nflwr
    m00nflwr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am training for a few 5ks this fall and am working towards improving my time with each race. Over the summer I was running light, a couple times a week, and cross training with horseback riding and bike riding. Now I'm focusing more on running and getting in 3 runs a week. I'm running 2-3 miles on my runs. My first race of this season is in 4 weeks from yesterday!
  • Lityboy
    Options
    Hi! I run at least 4 to 5 times a week. Currently I manage to run 5,5 miles (9km) to 6,2 miles (10k). I´m also building up for my very first half marathon on the 30th September. In October I´ll be ruuning a 10k event as well. Ideally, you should have 1 to 2 resting days.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've just started marathon training which is 2 short runs, one medium and one long. This week is 2x3miles, 4 miles and 5 miles :)
  • giulieramires
    Options
    I´m training 2 or 3 times a week, varying the distance. At mondays I run 5k approximately and the other days, wednesdays and fridays, it´s 7 or 8k (i don´t know how much it is in miles). I want to run 10k, I´m trying this for months, but it´s so difficult to me. Any tips?
  • MikeLoyd
    MikeLoyd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Last week I ran 4 miles 4 times. This is the most I have ever done. I would like to increase the number of days I run, but I'm concerned about developing shin splints and joint problems. Am I being a chicken?
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Last week I ran 4 miles 4 times. This is the most I have ever done. I would like to increase the number of days I run, but I'm concerned about developing shin splints and joint problems. Am I being a chicken?

not at all. I noticed the faster I tried to train, the more injuries I got. Now I always run with pain, so I wouldn't push it, you're doing fine.
  • Emma97H
    Emma97H Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, i don't compete in marathons, i am more like a short distance runner. 800 meters actually and longjump. I usually run 6 or seven days a week but when i train i fasten up my pace, I do 200 meter sprints, I do more back and ab exercises, I run a few kilometers up-hill and i do stairs.
    Also I run around...8 to 10 km on a typical training.
  • Emma97H
    Emma97H Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's just that lately i couldn't run as much as before due to an injury.