Running my first half in Sept

Options
Hi my name is Teresa--46 years old.
I am training to run my first half marathon in Sept.--The Air Force Half Marathon.
I have been running since last November on a regular basis. The winter months I ran on our treadmill. My husband and I are now running outside--BIG difference for sure!
My longest run was this past Saturday--6.2 miles in 80 minutes. My knee was hurting and i had to walk the last mile, but I felt awesome when I finished!!
This is the first time I have posted anything on mfp and also the first 'group' I have joined.
Hope to hear from newbies and from experienced runners!

Replies

• kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good job sister! Run on.
  • Teresa712
    Teresa712 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks! Some days I think I have wings on my Brooks....other days it seems like I am running through mud...haha! I saw a tee shirt on Pintrest that said 'I heart Running' and in smaller font it said 'when I'm done!" That is my mantra some days!
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well Done Teresa. You've already covered over half the distance.

It doesn't make it any easier, but believe it or not I've been told the bad days where you barely get through are the days that you are doing the most for your endurance and fitness.

If a time comes during the half marathon where you are going through a bad patch remember the bad days when you pushed on through and finished your run. You'll know in yourself you can finish.

A wise 80 year old runner told me your mind gives up way before your body ...... he told me this during a conversation just before he passed me :smile:

I think bad days train your mind as much as your legs. (I still hate them)
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well Done Teresa. You've already covered over half the distance.

It doesn't make it any easier, but believe it or not I've been told the bad days where you barely get through are the days that you are doing the most for your endurance and fitness.

If a time comes during the half marathon where you are going through a bad patch remember the bad days when you pushed on through and finished your run. You'll know in yourself you can finish.

A wise 80 year old runner told me your mind gives up way before your body ...... he told me this during a conversation just before he passed me :smile:

I think bad days train your mind as much as your legs. (I still hate them)

This was so true, I would have to agree with you on what you are saying here, although I did my fist half last Saturday it was awesome. Running is my outlit, so I find that i get lost in my runs however there are times when I don't even know why I am out there. So I'll have to remember this.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Teresa--46 years old.
    I am training to run my first half marathon in Sept.--The Air Force Half Marathon.
    I have been running since last November on a regular basis. The winter months I ran on our treadmill. My husband and I are now running outside--BIG difference for sure!
    My longest run was this past Saturday--6.2 miles in 80 minutes. My knee was hurting and i had to walk the last mile, but I felt awesome when I finished!!
    This is the first time I have posted anything on mfp and also the first 'group' I have joined.
    Hope to hear from newbies and from experienced runners!

You'll do fine, you have plenty of time before your Marathon arrives. Just challenge yourself each time you did 6.2 miles within 80min, then the next time try to beat it and no matter what the time is just not 80 min. You can do it.. Then increase to the next mile. I really works. .Determination will get you ready for this marathon. YOU CAN DO TH IS.
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    It really helps that my husband and I run together...most of the time. He knows just how to push me along.
    Another interesting fact is since I quit listening to music while I run, my times have gotten better. I also feel like I am running at a more even pace.
    I hope my knees and heels hold out so I can still be running at 80!!
  • flashmama
    flashmama Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations! Please let me know how you got started.
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Hi Teresa,

Interesting you have gotten quicker without music. I ran a 5 mile run for charity in January in Ireland on the coast. It was absolutely freezing but I remember my iPod was stuck on a metronome song that just went tick tock at 180 beats per minute. I think I ran my fastest time for a 5 mile that day. You could be on to something.

Just about your knees do you take anything like fish oil supplements? the are supplements that help with your joints and I've starting taking them this year. I don't want to recommend anything as your doctor is best placed to do that but all my knee pain has gone. It won't fix real problems but for general "creakiness" it works.

Pabs
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half in September too! I have run 5Ks and 10Ks but this will be my first half- i'm a bit nervous about it. I had ankle surgery in December and was just cleared to start running again in March (well not exactly cleared but I started anyway :wink: ) so i'm working back up slowly.

Good luck!!!
  • Teresa712
    Options
    How I got started running...well I went through a bad break-up about 3 years ago and started walking twice a day...early morning and when I got home from work. I gradually started jogging in the morning..under the cover of darkness...so none of my neighbors and friends saw me panting and gasping for breath! haha...
    I met my now husband and he was a runner. Many of our get-to-know-you times were from running together! He encouraged and badgered me lots!!
    I ran my first 5k last 4th of July and felt truly legit after that. We signed up for the AF Half in Jan. 2012---so that gave me nine months to wrap my head around 13.1 miles!
    We bought a treadmill last Nov. and I have tried to run faithfully (around8-10 miles a week) on it. Now that the weather is better, all of our runs are outdoors. There is a huge difference running outside. I also purchased a Nike TomTom watch--it really helps me with my times and pace.
    I have the heel pain and knee pain, but advil takes care of this ---for the most part!

I used to hate running when I first started, but realized this is the only thing that really 'leans' me out...more than any other exercize.

Now, I truly look forward to our runs.....I don't LOVE running...yet!
    I also have posted running movtivational sayings all over my bathroom and bedroom....my favorite is 'That little voice inside your head saying you can't do this is a LIAR!!!!
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Fish oil is something I heard about. Currently I am taking 1500 mg of Glucosamine 1200 mg of Chondroitin for joint pain. This was recommended by a friend who does Tri's. I may add the fish oil. The longer my runs, the more my knee creaks and groans!!
    I feel liberated without my ipod! Who would have thunk it?!
    I feel like my mind is free and I concentrate on my form and breathing better. When i get up to 10 miles I may start listening again...don't want to get bored!!
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    Options
    That's awesome keep up the good work. Adding to every run is a challenge, and as long as you complete your goal, that is what matters. If you have Netflix check out Spirit of the Marathon it is a great documentary about different types of runners and why they run.

I ran my first Half in March and just finished my 2nd one last week. I can't believe it but I have just looked into a 3rd this year in July - - call me crazy but I think the 13.1 bug has bit!

Keep up the good work!!
  • maxxi
    maxxi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm thinking about running a half marathon in September. I already do 5k regularly but really no more than that, anyone got a realistic training programme for a slow plodder?
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Hi Teresa,

I think you are a lot more "Zen" and centred than me. I have 3 children under 4 and I think it has affected my mental state. I even get bored on 10k runs without some music!!

Having said that I did a run/walk (I was a little hung over, I know I'm the worst fitnesspal ever) and it was absolutely beautiful so I did take the headphones off for a few miles. Whatever works for you but I know headphone people like me a frowned upon in the running world as being ignorant and rude. Pure runners need nothing but road, inner peace and belief in themselves.

I'm as pure as coal myself.
  • Teresa712
    Options
    That is funny stuff!!! I don't know about 'Zen'--my husband runs with me and he only keeps one earpiece on to listen to music...and when i start to stuggle...with a hill (or slight encline that looks like a giant hill) I make him talk me through my stuggle!!
    This may be a phase of not listening to music while running....we shall see.

Kudos to you for getting yourself out there to run with little ones....I have 22 and 18 year old sons. When they were little I did VHS and Dvd's of Jane Fonda and Tracy Austin (?) while they were in bed!!
    WTG running with a hangover too!!!
    I ran 6.06 miles this past Sat. and came home and had to put a bag of frozen corn on my knee!!! This was an Advil day for sure!!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How I got started running...well I went through a bad break-up about 3 years ago and started walking twice a day...early morning and when I got home from work. I gradually started jogging in the morning..under the cover of darkness...so none of my neighbors and friends saw me panting and gasping for breath! haha...
    I met my now husband and he was a runner. Many of our get-to-know-you times were from running together! He encouraged and badgered me lots!!
    I ran my first 5k last 4th of July and felt truly legit after that. We signed up for the AF Half in Jan. 2012---so that gave me nine months to wrap my head around 13.1 miles!
    We bought a treadmill last Nov. and I have tried to run faithfully (around8-10 miles a week) on it. Now that the weather is better, all of our runs are outdoors. There is a huge difference running outside. I also purchased a Nike TomTom watch--it really helps me with my times and pace.
    I have the heel pain and knee pain, but advil takes care of this ---for the most part!

I used to hate running when I first started, but realized this is the only thing that really 'leans' me out...more than any other exercize.

Now, I truly look forward to our runs.....I don't LOVE running...yet!
    I also have posted running movtivational sayings all over my bathroom and bedroom....my favorite is 'That little voice inside your head saying you can't do this is a LIAR!!!!
    What is the difference to you from running on a treadmill inside or running outside? Just wondering since I have done all my running with the c25k on a treadmill. Thanks and Congrats
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Teresa,

have you been to have your gait analysed at a running shop and seen what shoes they advise? This could be the cause of the pain in your knee. Not saying it definitely is, but it could be.

If it is not the shoes, then your body will change physiologically if you stick with it and the pain will decrease with time and hopefully disappear all together. Stick with it and don't push too hard if you hit a lot of pain.

Congratulations on your progress so far.

Dave.
  • Teresa712
    Options
    @Whutzup1--
    When I ran on my treadmill I always ran at an incline at 1 or 2...I ran at 5 mph for the most part. It seems like I took more breaks on the treadmill...I would walk more. I dvred all my favorite shows and watched them while running and would try to sprint while fast forwarding through the commercials.
    Running outside seemed more difficult in the beginning (March) due to wind speed---which was always blowing against me on my leg home...up a steady incline! Also, running on pavement was harder on my knees than the treadmill...this got better. It also is a lot hotter running outside, than in my cool basement.
    Running outside is more interesting---it has a 'freeness' to it that the treadmill doesn't. While running outside, I seem to push myself just a little bit further than being on the treadmill.
    Good luck with your 5k!!
  • Teresa712
    Options
    Dave-
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have not had my gait checked...I need to do that.
    My knee doesn't start hurting until about mile 5 or 5.5. This past Saturday I just pushed through it and finished my last mile trying to sprint. I then sat with a bag of frozen corn on it when I got home! The rest of the day I was feeling it for sure!
    The knee is fine now and going out for a 4 mile run tonight!
  • pabscabs
    Options
    Hi Teresa,

It sounds like your knee is getting worse. Just be careful. Did you get your gait checked like Dave suggested?

Have you tried Run/walking. The Geff Galloway method. Whenever I'm tired or a bit run down I do my runs this way. I do it a lot. People do think your a bit strange but lets face it they were looking at me that way anyway before run/walk.

I usually have to run 7 miles in to work in the morning and 7 miles back a few times a week as my wife needs the car. I run walk 3 minutes running and 1 minute walking. I do all my long runs this way. Sometimes 4:1 and sometimes when things are very bad 2:1 and on good days I run the whole distance. You can get soundtracks for free from iTunes that ding ding when you're to you and ding when your to walk. I think MotionTrax do them.

Here's the weird bit you don't lose much time as you tend to finish stronger. Your heart rate doesn't drop that much because you start running again before it has time. At 3:1 I usually average 10 min miles. Most importantly the walking stops injuries building during a run.

Like yourself when I first started I was getting all kinds of pains when the mileage started to increase. The run walk has definitely made me a beeter runner as I'm no longer getting injured and I can go further. Some of the reason the pain has decreased is no doubt as you get stronger.

Look after yourself .... Jane Fonda now that brings me back

Pabs