scaredy pants!

Options
MsNewBooty83
MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
hey guys :) I was excited to see this group because today i ran for the first time in my life! lol i felt so proud of myself.

I`ve been the "chubby one" my whole life. I struggled in phys ed throughout my school years and completly dreaded track and field day. Every year I would come in dead last, I guess someone had to, but its still pretty crushing to a kids ego. I suppose I carried that fear into adulthood because I really have had such a hard time over comming my fear of running! I think every time i see a runner I have track and field day flashbacks!

A good personal friend of mine has been encouraging me to " just try" because she knows how envious I am of runners. So today,after my boxing class, I decided to get aboard the dreaded tredmill. Anxiety kicked in almost immediatly. I can feel my the impact every time my foot hit the tred runner and im thinking about what a mess my jiggly *kitten* must look like, that my stomach is probly looking like the surface of a bowl of jello in an earthquakeand my arms must be flapping away like a couple of turkey gizzards....and im only walking at this point. WHY AM I SO PARANIOD?!!

So I call over one of the trainers (talking calms me, always, gift of the gab...i got it! ). I figure, I'll just chat with her about what I want to do and ask some questions about how to get to my goal of being a runner, lol. I talk about C25K (cause everyone seems to be doing it around here), but that program seems kinda weak to me. Despite my being such a chicken on the tredmill, I really am a grab life by the balls kinda person, I swear! lol So she says, well see if you can run the first min, so i crank 'er up and do it, NO PROBLEM....well, okay see if you can go for 2, done. 3? ok easy...she says, well maybe try for 5 and then take a 2min rest (5run, 2walk) and she leaves me.

Well, now I'm running, dammit I'm doing it!!!!! Another trainer walks by and compliments me on m gait! "wow, youve got a fantastic gait" ARE YOU F'N KIDDIN ME?! This is my 1st time running! So now I'm all WHOOOOO!!!! and just friggin givin 'er! doing the 10min mile pace. I'm nearly ready to start clapping for myself and cheering my self on as I past the 10 minute mark. For some reason "eye of the tiger" is playing in my head...dah, bah, bah, dahhh, bah, bah, dahh, dah, dah, daaaaaaah!

This is amazing! I feel so good! I'm already exhausted from doing the eliptical and interval box class, but i keep going. I bet I was actually smiling while i was running. I definitly know that I wasnt thinking about my arms, my belly or my *kitten*. I freaking ran 25 minutes non-stop! GO ME!

Needless to say, I immediatly texted my friend after ward. I havent been this excited about anything for a long time. I feel awesome and I`m telling you if it hadnt been for her and my awesome MFP friends, I probly would have never tried. But I did and I`m gonna do it again tomorrow!

Thanks for reading my horrifically spelled and gramatically incorrect tale fellow group members! lol! I look forward to reading yours too! :drinker:

Replies

• tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    hey guys :) I was excited to see this group because today i ran for the first time in my life! lol i felt so proud of myself.

I`ve been the "chubby one" my whole life. I struggled in phys ed throughout my school years and completly dreaded track and field day. Every year I would come in dead last, I guess someone had to, but its still pretty crushing to a kids ego. I suppose I carried that fear into adulthood because I really have had such a hard time over comming my fear of running! I think every time i see a runner I have track and field day flashbacks!

A good personal friend of mine has been encouraging me to " just try" because she knows how envious I am of runners. So today,after my boxing class, I decided to get aboard the dreaded tredmill. Anxiety kicked in almost immediatly. I can feel my the impact every time my foot hit the tred runner and im thinking about what a mess my jiggly *kitten* must look like, that my stomach is probly looking like the surface of a bowl of jello in an earthquakeand my arms must be flapping away like a couple of turkey gizzards....and im only walking at this point. WHY AM I SO PARANIOD?!!

So I call over one of the trainers (talking calms me, always, gift of the gab...i got it! ). I figure, I'll just chat with her about what I want to do and ask some questions about how to get to my goal of being a runner, lol. I talk about C25K (cause everyone seems to be doing it around here), but that program seems kinda weak to me. Despite my being such a chicken on the tredmill, I really am a grab life by the balls kinda person, I swear! lol So she says, well see if you can run the first min, so i crank 'er up and do it, NO PROBLEM....well, okay see if you can go for 2, done. 3? ok easy...she says, well maybe try for 5 and then take a 2min rest (5run, 2walk) and she leaves me.

Well, now I'm running, dammit I'm doing it!!!!! Another trainer walks by and compliments me on m gait! "wow, youve got a fantastic gait" ARE YOU F'N KIDDIN ME?! This is my 1st time running! So now I'm all WHOOOOO!!!! and just friggin givin 'er! doing the 10min mile pace. I'm nearly ready to start clapping for myself and cheering my self on as I past the 10 minute mark. For some reason "eye of the tiger" is playing in my head...dah, bah, bah, dahhh, bah, bah, dahh, dah, dah, daaaaaaah!

This is amazing! I feel so good! I'm already exhausted from doing the eliptical and interval box class, but i keep going. I bet I was actually smiling while i was running. I definitly know that I wasnt thinking about my arms, my belly or my *kitten*. I freaking ran 25 minutes non-stop! GO ME!

Needless to say, I immediatly texted my friend after ward. I havent been this excited about anything for a long time. I feel awesome and I`m telling you if it hadnt been for her and my awesome MFP friends, I probly would have never tried. But I did and I`m gonna do it again tomorrow!

Thanks for reading my horrifically spelled and gramatically incorrect tale fellow group members! lol! I look forward to reading yours too! :drinker:
    Congratulations! Way to get in there and kick that treadmill's butt!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: You rock!
  • AnHadley1987
    AnHadley1987 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :happy: Awesome story, I know how you feel. My older sister was always the athletic one doing sports, and our mom was always trying to push me to get out there and join her. For some reason back in middle school and high school I always thought runners started out at a 7-9 mpm pace and knew I could never do that. I was 25 lbs overweight and had breathing issues but I envied and admired my sister so much, wishing I could join her. In 2010 at 22 years old, I started going to the gym in February weighing 155 lbs and did weight/strength training for an hour 5 days a week, in April for 2 weeks I went twice a day for an hour each and just focused on weight lifting. I weighed myself in May at 134 lbs and was excited, then I saw a flier about our YMCA doing a training program for the Half Marathon and joined, I got overzealous and injured myself. I had to spend that whole winter building my base to 3 miles, joined the group in May 2011, found out I was pregnant in August and I ran my first Half Marathon in October at 13 weeks pregnant. It was amazing. What's even more amazing now, my sister and I are running together and training for my second Half Marathon, her first Half Marathon. I am helping her get back into running after 2 kids and being out of shape for almost 9 years herself. I am constantly dreaming of the moment we cross that finish line together.
    Great job and good luck, running is an awesome feeling and it gives you sense of independence from vehicles and what not; being able to use your body to get you places.
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fantastic stuff. So you ran at least 2.5 miles ..... a 5K is 3 miles. Is that C25K in just one go !!

Congratulations, you are now a runner. (with a fantastic gait apparently)