currently 145lbs and I'm 5'5 Is 110lbs a reasonable goal?

Options
TheJayRay01
TheJayRay01 Posts: 5 Member
I'm currently 145lbs and I'm 5'5 Is 110lbs a reasonable goal? I sort of lost my self to food cravings this last year and am just now starting to get back on track. I was 120lbs before but My goal has been to get to 110 is this reasonable?

Replies

• buffalodaughter
    Options
    At 5'5 and 110lbs you would have a BMI of 18.3%, which is technically underweight. Personally, I find that tracking your body fat percentage is more helpful than just focusing on pounds lost. Google "5lbs of fat vs 5lbs of muscle" and you'll see why. :)
  • TheJayRay01
    TheJayRay01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    okay thanks :)
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I am 120 and 5'5, if I was 110 I would be a stick but it depends on body type. I think that would be too low
  • cori2087
    cori2087 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree it depends on your body shape. I am 5'45'' and my smallest ideal weight is 116. If I reach 115 or lower then my boobs and butt disappear and I like those parts of my body! Also, if you put on muscle you might stay at the same weight but become smaller :). I have a friend who is a size 0 (I am a 4-2 depending on the brand), and she weights 135.

Hope this helps
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This is awesome as I was just wondering what my ideal weight would be. I am 5'4" and weigh 124.5. My goal was 122, but I think I need to lose more than that, as I am not sure 2.5 lbs is going to slim me down where I need it. I am looking to purchase some heavier dumbells as I only have 5 lb ones right now. Then I can do some strength to increase muscle. Where at home can I get an accurate body fat estimate? I get estimates anywhere from 18-24% right now. ;-(
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5 and i weigh 114. i have to eat very little (like it still seems like i'm dieting most days - 1500 net) to maintain at 114...and i exercise every day. in my opinion, sure...you could weigh 110, but you'd have to pretty much diet forever. once you weigh that little you burn fewer calories...30 minutes of jogging only burns me 250 calories, while someone heavier would burn more.

so...i guess i feel like what's the point of getting so low that you can't possibly maintain it??? instead lose until you think you could maintain there.

or maybe you CAN maintain under 1500 calories. and then it's a whole different story. :)
  • ChandlerBrooks93
    Options
    I personally belie that you would bebetter off shooting for 115 or 120 if you going for a goal weight...my goal weight right now is 115 but i would rather to really just get more fit and gain muscle.. i weigh 126 right now and i love my body i just want to gain more muscle "look great naked" lol
  • ennovi_r
    ennovi_r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6.5" and currently 116. I wanted to lose about 5 pounds but it seems my body is defying me.
    I was 95-105 until I was 22 but I guess my metabolism has slowed down now that I am 24. :(
    So I think 115 might be a better goal especially since you want to gain muscle. I was pretty much just skinny fat when I was at a low weight with absolutely no muscle definition. So now I am trying to gain muscle too and look better overall and just ignore or maintain my weight.
  • AngelinaMoore04
    Options
    Im currently 123 and my goal is 116. I'm 5 5" and 41 years old. This site said I should be eating 1200 (not counting exercise) to reach that goal.

Does that sound too low?
  • AngelinaMoore04
    Options
    How many calories doe MFP tell you to consume (without counting exercise) to get to 116? That's my goal at 5 5" and it said 1200. Does that sound low? I don't mind it being low if that is right I just don't want to put my body in starvation mode and lower my metabolisim. : )
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How many calories doe MFP tell you to consume (without counting exercise) to get to 116? That's my goal at 5 5" and it said 1200. Does that sound low? I don't mind it being low if that is right I just don't want to put my body in starvation mode and lower my metabolisim. : )

Do you have it set to lose 2 pounds a week? I've seen a few people post that MFP limits calorie intake to 1200 for everybody who puts that. I did it and it worked for me and I never felt hungry, but just be sure to always eat back your exercise calories.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Peoples goals are everywhere. There will be a person who will tell you you're to fat/skinny no matter what size you are. I think what's more important is to stick to a healthy calorie goal. For example, I got to 120 eating 1650 calories a day. I now eat well over that, and I'm the same weight. The difference is I've become a lot more active. If you're active, and you eat around the 2000 mark (daily recommended calorie goal in the US and Canada) and you can get in the under weight section of the BMI (which is a load of BS anyway btw) then do it. I'm at the very bottom tip of healthy, and see nothing wrong with me getting lower, as long as I do it in a healthy manner.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is 110 for your height would be next to impossible if you want any muscles. I am 5'6" and weighed 110 pounds when I got married 9 years ago. I didn't see it then but in looking back at pictures I was way too thin. I also didn't have any muscle.

Don't get too caught up on the number on the scale -it is just a number and it will fluctuate from day to day. Instead concentrate on being healthy and fit.
  • drewheat
    drewheat Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 113 lbs. My friends and boyfriend don't think I'm too skinny or underweight, but I do a lot of yoga so I have reasonable muscle definition. If you're 145 it might be easier to set your goal at 120 and then adjust from there once you reach that goal. Then it won't seem like you have so much to lose.
    I definitely still have quite a bit of fat on my body, mostly in my butt and thighs, so going to 110 lbs wouldn't be too difficult or "too skinny". It really depends on your body type, bone structure and where you carry your weight. As long as you are healthy with good energy levels I don't think an underweight BMI is of any significance.
  • ally1130
    ally1130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I originally had a goal of weighing 112, I am currently 118. I am 5'4 What are people's thoughts on this weight goal for my height. Too skinny, to fat, just right????
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    At 5'5 and 110lbs you would have a BMI of 18.3%, which is technically underweight. Personally, I find that tracking your body fat percentage is more helpful than just focusing on pounds lost. Google "5lbs of fat vs 5lbs of muscle" and you'll see why. :)

Wow, just googled it - that's amazing/shocking/disgusting. *just heading out the door for a run...*
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    I started at the same weight and am the same height! My goal is 120, I'm at 131 right now, and I think I may have to make my goal lower, towards 115, but we'll see, maintaining is the problem. Also, maybe it's best to not set a goal but just feel comfortable =)
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, I think that maybe setting your goal for 110 is okay, but don't go any lower once you hit it! And if you reach something above 110 that is good for you, just stay put! I'm strugglin' down here in the 100s, seriously.

I'm 5'5'' and I now weigh 107. I lost 9 lbs since I started weightlifting 3 months ago. Now I'm able to lift heavy stuff which I could never do before...but I can no longer run long distance and I am tired a lot. I ran long distance for 15 years! Now I am too TIRED!? Wtf.

I joined this skinny fat group today because I need to get MORE energy and strength and muscle.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    BMI is extremely misleading and unreliable especially for "skinny-fat" people. What's your body fat percentage? Instead of BMI I'd recommend focusing on decreasing your body fat percentage to around 8-10% if you're a man (much higher if you're a woman) without losing lean body mass (which can be done with a moderate caloric deficit and consistent weight lifting). Once you reach your target body fat percentage, I'd recommend adding "clean" calories and lifting weights to build muscle mass while maintaining a low body fat percentage.

Focusing on weight is really your enemy here -- you could go down to 110 by losing massive amounts of muscle and fat, or you could go down to 110 losing mostly fat while sparing muscle, or you could end up never going down to 110 because you actually have gained muscle!
  • laurenleighlugo
    Options
    I'm 5'5" too and my goal weight is 110 as well. That was my happy weight :) I got off track so I weigh 122 right now. So if you're 145 right now I think you should set your goal at 120 and see if you're happy with that. GOOD LUCK!