Anyone using a smith machine for squats?

Options
Cathy7794
Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
I have been failing miserably on squats. I was progressing pretty well until I hit 85 pounds and now I just can't finish 5 sets without tipping either forward or backward. I dropped the weight back down to 75 and started lifting barefoot, thinking maybe my shoes were causing me to rock. At 75 pounds I was ok, but still having a little bit of trouble so I went down to 65 and over the past week have worked my way back up to 85 pounds. As soon as I was back to 85, I started having trouble again. I just can't get back up without losing balance. So frustrating!! So today, after fighting with two sets of 85 pounds, I gave up. I went and did the rest of my workout and decided to just say screw squats for the day. Then I saw the smith machine and decided to give it a try and see if maybe I can work on my form for a couple weeks. I've heard all the talk about how bad this machine is for squats and it shouldn't be used for such, but....dang it!! I'm so frustrated with failing on these things!! Does anyone else use it for squats? I already have hip pain when I do squats, but it didn't seem to hurt much at all when I did them on the machine today. Will using it really mess me up? :ohwell:

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about these machines. I don't think they're bad, per se, but I just feel so awkward in them. I really don't like them.

But don't fret...my squat form was so terrible, I've been doing body weight squats with a body bar for two months. I only started adding weight recently, now that my form is so much better. I tried 55 lbs the other night, and it's back to bad form. So this just may be the exercise that I don't progress fast at.all. with. Don't give up!

And I hope some of the more experienced ladies will have better advice for you than I did.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The Smith will remove your back and any balance muscles. The reason this program is so heavy on squats is that many experts believe the squat is the best move out there because it works sooooo many muscles (quads, hamstrings, butt, hips, stomach,back). Using the Smith machine makes it a pretty limiting move.

I say go back down as low as you need. It's okay. No egos here. Make sure your form is right. Stick your *kitten* back and drop it down instead of leaning forward (this is what I do sometimes). Start with your feet pointed out a bit. Keep your knees pointed out. Pressure should be on your heels and the outside edge of your feet. Keep the bar above the middle of your foot. Are you doing high bar or low bar? Switching from one to the other might help your balance issues.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The problem with the smith machine is it doesn't allow you to work your stabilizing muscles. Therefore the squat goes from a compound lift that works your whole body, to just a leg workout.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    From reading through the StrongLifts guide I gathered the Smith Machine puts your body in unnatural positions. This opens up more possibilty to injuries.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would drop weight before going Smith for all of the above reasons. I wouldn't be hard on yourself for the fails after increasing weight. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Today you may be having difficulty with increasing weight in squats, but three months from now after you've excelled on squats it may be the bench press! One thing this program takes is patience! I am not a patient person, but I'm learning to love my fails and have patience with them so I can still enjoy my lift days!

:flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    It sounds like something is slightly off with your form if you're experiencing balance issues (can you describe that more? How do you lose your balance?) - try pointing your toes out more (and make sure your knees go out in the same direction as they do, not buckling inward as you stand), or widening your stance (might need to change your bar position to do this if you are doing high bar although it depends on you), make sure you are not PUSHing with your feet at all. Your feet do nothing - your heels are being pushed against the ground by your legs, which are being pushed against the ground by your hips and thighs, which are the primary driving force here, and all your knees are doing is acting as a hinge to allow your legs to bend.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    what kind of warm up are you doing to juice up your hips before squatting? Flexibilty is important, some people have it naturally, others don't and really need to work on it to improve their form.
    I would really work on your mobility to open up your hips and stretch out your hammies before starting your squats. typically I will spend 5 minutes on the foam roller working my IT bands, lower back... then I follow mobilitywod.com's advice for squat mobility.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm finally remembering to come back in here and respond! :embarassed:

So, after reading all the replies, I didn't give in to the Smith machine. I dropped back down to 75 and really paid attention to how I was squatting and whether or not I was doing high bar or low bar. (I had no idea there was 2 different ways to place the bar.:ohwell: ) Anyway, I was doing high bar...so I tried low bar instead. What a difference!! Before I was feeling it all in my quads, not so much anywhere else. Now, as of today's workout, I'm up to 130# and I'm feeling it in all the right places. :blushing: :drinker: