Selecting a food option for a wedding

Options
stylistchik
stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
I am a bridesmaid in a childhood friend's wedding this summer and just received the invitation. The food options are chicken or "vegetarian" which I was excited about except the dish is spring vegetable cavatappi which is traditionally made with butter, milk, and cheese. :frown: I would suck it up to be polite and not stress of my friend even more, but both my sister and I are allergic to dairy. Would it be rude to request the dish without sauce or should I order the chicken and eat the sides? any suggestions?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt to ask - worst case scenario, they say no.

I am going to a wedding next month and there is no vegetarian option - I plan on bringing my own food and eating before the reception - and stuffing myself silly on any veg-friendly apps they might have!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be rude. If you are allergic, especially.
  • stylistchik
    Options

I am going to a wedding next month and there is no vegetarian option - I plan on bringing my own food and eating before the reception - and stuffing myself silly on any veg-friendly apps they might have!

If I wasn't in the wedding party I would do this but I don't see myself having time to eat in between lol
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

If I wasn't in the wedding party I would do this but I don't see myself having time to eat in between lol

Understandable. Can you keep a Clif Bar (or another small snack) in your clutch/with your date? I honestly don't think they would have an issue accommodating a food allergy though, especially for someone in the wedding party.
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think you should ring ahead and ask asap - if you don't ask you don't get! At least that way you'll know if you're going to be stuck and can have a cereal bar and fruit to hand. There is nothing impolite about asking a caterer to deal with your allergies - if they can't manage that then they aren't much good ;-)
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ask the caterers what vegan options they have. I went to a wedding a few years ago, and the caterers not only accommodated my diet, but even offered a second vegan option when I wasn't happy with the first (a mushroom dish-- I hate mushrooms!).
  • stylistchik
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I talked to my friend (the bride) and she said I should write it on the little card and then she'd talk to the caterers once she got everything in. I will definitely keep some clif bars on me... I practically live on them some days. :laugh: