How to waterproof your fitbit..

Options
2»

Replies

• lscoop
    lscoop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://lalymom.com/5-ways-to-make-your-fitbit-waterproof-works-for-other-fitness-trackers-too/
    This is a great article....I like the idea of buying the waterproof phone cover that has an arm attachment. Now I'm wondering if having it close to the body inside a container on your arm would actually track swimming exercise....that I have no clue about!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are doing water walking....a substantial amount.

But the steps for water walking have no bearing on the formula for calorie burn that is expected for the steps seen and distance calculated - so the even if every step was seen accurately - the impact is not and calculated distance and calorie burn is worthless.

If by pure coincidence your method of water walking happen to match normal walking calorie burn calculations - go do the lottery too.

But how would you ever know if it did?

Ditto's to HRM. As I'm doubting any water proofing will allow the Fitbit HR method to work even decently accurately.

Or just use the database entry for it.

After all - what % of your weekly time is spent doing that exercise, and what % of weekly calories?

@lscoop - no it wouldn't, not for a step-based device. Obviously arm swings are not steps. Just as turns of bicycle pedal isn't either.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Polar has a waterproof HRM that's great for swimming and less than $45 at Best Buy. Mine when out after a couple years and I just decided to go with the Fit bit Charge instead.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Crys32 wrote: »
    I've seen were some people said they got waterproof cases for thier fitbits while swimming... where do you get those? I thought maybe there was an actually waterproof case to fit your fitbit and not and oversized one. Does anyone know?

Fitbits are pretty waterproof. I know they claim they aren't showerproof/swimproof, but I think that is because too many people were being dumb about it, never taking the fitbit off when it got wet, and developing irritations on their wrist as a result.

Fitbit Charge HR has been independently tested for up to 50m waterproof. In my case I've showered with it every day and swam with it twice. No issues.

That said, in the very unlikely event something did happen it would certainly void the warranty. But so would a case I suspect.