Experienced Runner, can you help?

Options
Swanson83
Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
I am running my first race/half marathon this weekend. I have been watching the weather and have been getting reports from the race site that there is a hot weather warning. The race is in Green Bay, WI and it starts at 7:00am. I am thinking that the hot weather reports are for the full marathoners as I am hoping to be done by 10:30 am and the weather shouldn't be in the 80's by then.
Should I do anything else besides hydrate really well before the race? Any tips you can give me, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Sunscreen, hat, and lots of lip balm!!!

Are you planningon carrying water? Even if it's not too hot when you are running, in temps like that you will need lots of hydration. Check the race site and see if they indicate where the water stations will be on the race route - make sure you'll have enough fluids! Drink even if you don't think you're thirsty... it's easy to dehydrate without realizing it when you are excited and focussed on your race (happened to me in my 1st 10k - almost passed out!)

You will have a great race! Your first half is the best! When you cross that finish line you will feel like a million bucks, and remember to take the time to celebrate your accomplishment - it's a big deal!

HAVE A GREAT RACE!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swanson83
    Options
    THANK YOU for the information! I didn't even think of lip balm, I am glad you mentioned it!
    They have increase the amount of water stations so I believe that they moved them to every mile, with ice, gatorade, and water at each location.

Thank you for the kinds words as well! When I read them my excitement went through the roof! Can't wait to finish and celebrate! :smile:
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Lip balm is a must! I go nutso without it when I run!

It's good they've increased the water stations - make sure you use them, even if you think you don't need to!

Have fun this weekend - let me know how it goes!!! :happy:
  • flemmish51
    flemmish51 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yeah drink like crazy right before the race so that your peeing all the time (great indication that your fully hydrated) put petroleum jelly on your upper inner thighs to keep them from chaffing. drink at every water stop - especially the early ones. have an alternate goal in case the warm weather takes its' toll
  • Swanson83
    Options
    I finished!! I didn't make my goal. I started out too slow...who does that?! Anyway, they ended up closing down the whole race right about 10:00am (Just 10 or 20 mins after I crossed the finish line! ) due to the high heat. I heard that they had 150 racers down from heat related problems! I only saw about 6 but my brother who ran with/ahead of me said he carried someone to the medical stop. Yikes! I am glad that I finished and though I didn't make my goal I know I can! So I am looking for another one! :) Can't wait!
  • lightnda
    lightnda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You did exactly as you should have done. Tempered your goal a little due to the hot weather. And by doing so made sure that you finished! And something a wise man (or possibly woman) once told me was it is better to have a slow first mile than a slow last mile. All the energy you didn't waste at the beginning meant you had energy for the end. Running on empty is no fun! And now you have a PB to aim for and you'll know just how much you can push yourself next time.

Well done again and keep on running!

Dave.