Welcome

Welcome to all transplantee's. I myself had a heart transplant on June 4, 2011. I just got off my prednisone and am starting the fight to lose this prednisone weight. I had lost 5 lbs with MFP but wasn't watching my calories for the last few days and put a few lbs back on. This is the heaviest I have ever been and I don't want to ever reach this weight again for any reason. Cuss and discuss your motivations and share your recipes that have helped.

Replies

• tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Congrats on the transplant! I had a kidney transplant on June 24, 2003 (from my mom), so we're coming up on 9 years soon and everything has been awesome. I thankfully never had to be on steroids. I got fat all on my own ;)

It's a tough journey to get healthy but well worth it. Not to mention that staying healthy helps keep a healthy transplant. That is definitely one of my motivations. I want to keep this kidney as long as possible.
  • dnoble703
    dnoble703 Posts: 6
    Thanks Tinchick. Congrats on reaching 9 years! Prednisone is the most annoying drug out there but is a bittersweet drug all together. I was always sick and could never really get any good exercise in so I'm beginning this journey not knowing how intense to go or anything like that. Luckily my mother in law lives next door and has a swiming pool so the water aerobics will be in full swing!
  • Congrats on the 9 years! My husband just had 19 years in April and also received his kidney from his mom...aren't mom's great! He took prednisone up until about 8 years ago (we called it his grumpy pill). His creatine is even down to 1.8. Keep up the drugs and eat well and it will last a long time. Remember, mom only had one spare!
  • tinchick
    Thanks Tinchick. Congrats on reaching 9 years! Prednisone is the most annoying drug out there but is a bittersweet drug all together. I was always sick and could never really get any good exercise in so I'm beginning this journey not knowing how intense to go or anything like that. Luckily my mother in law lives next door and has a swiming pool so the water aerobics will be in full swing!

Well swimming sounds like a great idea. I'd love to do some water aerobics myself, but we don't have a swimming pool in the area. I'd say that going slow and steady is a good thing with exercise regardless, but especially with a new heart. Good luck!
  • tinchick
    Congrats on the 9 years! My husband just had 19 years in April and also received his kidney from his mom...aren't mom's great! He took prednisone up until about 8 years ago (we called it his grumpy pill). His creatine is even down to 1.8. Keep up the drugs and eat well and it will last a long time. Remember, mom only had one spare!

Wow, 19 years is impressive! Congrats to him!

And yes, moms are pretty awesome! :)
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 190 Member
    I put on 30# with Prednisone. I have 20# of it off as of today. I still have 80# to lose but the 30# is my first goal. I was blessed with :heart: a heart transplant 12/31/09. Since then I've had CMV and encephalitis. I'm feeling really healthy finally and loving it. :heart: :heart: :heart: