question about weekend and activity

Options
my caloric intake is set for what my activity is during the week. I work Mon-Fri and walk around 5-6 miles a day just working and taking care mommy things. So on the weekend I dont walk 5-6 miles a day. Confused as to what to do. Do I exercise and not count it on my exercise log or do I count it? Which one is accurate.

Replies

• fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week (combo of strength and cardio DVDs and a short ab workout 3 days a week).

I count most of my formal exercise (meaning structured workouts or sports) no matter when it occurs. I don't count my day to day activities that are part of my normal activities (i.e. stairs and normal walking at work) or very short workouts that just involve stretching or lifting that last 15 mins or less.

The only time I don't count exercise is if I know it's a very low burn activity. That's because I'm concerned with not netting below my BMR and I don't think certain activities burn enough calories to be a significant difference to my net calories per day, like yoga, pilates, slow walking, etc.
  • LifeinDC
    LifeinDC Posts: 34
    Options
    I set my calorie goals to sedentary because I work at a desk job, and then I used to count extra walking as cardio, but I've now decided that unless the walking is prolonged not to count it, for the same reason as the previous poster and because I read a fitness book which said that slow walking just doesn't count. Now I don't believe that is at all true when you are moving from a very sedentary life to starting towards more activity, since walking then really raises a person's heart rate. It just doesn't for me anymore.. Still since you are doing a mix of activities, it might be interest to reduce the calorie count for all times, and only count cardio activities that lift your heart rate significantly. And observe how it affects the whole journey.