Maximizing the Bodies Fat Burning Potential

Options
CGianunzio
CGianunzio Posts: 13 Member
As you have probably noticed I have not been on much this past week. I have actually been doing quiet a bit of studying on the best way for the body to burn fat. I was quite suprised when I found out that everything that I was doing was all wrong. The 3 or 4 mile runs, 11+ mile bike rides, moderately walking, etc. Based on the information I read I became very discouraged because these are all things that I like to do and grew up doing but then I thought about it and looked at the bigger picture. It had been almost 10 days with no weight change and it wasn't like I wasn't exercising because I was. The exercises I was doing had adverse effects on what I was actually trying to accomplish. Don't get me wrong, those types of exercises are perfectly ok for some who isn't in the weight loss or fat burning business. They are still great for your hear and th rest of the body.

What I came to find out is that the body isn't designed or made to do pro-long exercises such as long distance running or bike riding. When a person does these kinds of exercises the body takes the same effect as if a person where to eat to little. This is what I like to call starvation mode. The body stores all of it's energy because it does not know when you are going to quit. So instead of the body releasing more of the Leptin hormone it releasing cortizol which is the same hormone related people that suffer from high stress. So instead of the body using body fat for fuel it has the opposite effect and stores all of the fat which in turn reduces the body's ability to burn fat and lose weight. Plus pro-longed exercises also builds up lactic acid in the muscle which slows down muscle regeneration. Take for example a marathon runner. A marathon runner litterally has no muscle on their body. You hardly ever see marathon runners with cut muscles because they are broken down so much.

Earlier I mentioned Leptin. Leptin is a hormone in the body that helps increase the ability to burn fat if you have increased levels in your body. Most people who are overweight have a lowered level of this hormone in their body. One might ask, "how do you increase this hormone to help with my weight loss?" According to my research the key to burning fat is to do high intesity workouts. The key is to make the body work really hard for 30 second to a minute and then try to cool the body down as fast as you can in 20 to 30 seconds and continue this process for around 15-20 minutes a day. An example of a person who has high levels of Leptin is a sprinter. Think about it. How many 100 meter sprinters do you see that don't have a completely ripped or cut up body or even a 6 pack? When I thought about it I couldn't name one. That's because sprinters do high intensity workouts with shorts breaks which increases the body's ability to burn fat for up to 36 hours after the workout has been completed.

Another key to maximizing the bodies ability to burn fat is make sure you dont' consume any carbs or sugars for at least two hours after your high intensity workout. When a person consumes a lot of sugar or carbs after a workout their body uses that energy first instead of using the stored fat in the body as fuel. I'm not saying don't have sugar carbs at all just wait at least two hours after your workout to eat that sort of thing. For those of you who drink gatoraid or poweraid during or after your workouts, I would suggest you rethink that strategy. Try switching to a pre/post workout drink. I myself am a huge fan of pre and post workout drinks. Complete Nutrition, GNC and other places like that can be very helpful in finding good protein drinks with extremely low sugar and carbs for before and after workouts. Protein is a huge part of my diet. Based on what I have read I am a firm believer in a high protein diet. Just make sure you that you get your protein from the right sources of food or liquid. Read your labels people!!! I can't stress that enough.

Chris Gianunzio