The panic room! Describe your symptoms!

Options
I want to do this as a topic for the group, so that by reading other's experiences, they may themselves calm down, and be released from anxiety's grasp. I am actually having a decent anxiety attack right now. I have a sharp pain in my heart, difficulty breathing, I feel a numbness in my upper left arm, pins and needles in my hands and legs, headache, my neck is stiff, and my eyes feel strained... Sometimes venting the anxiety helps too, but by just reading similar symptoms, it can help others relax and overcome their anxiety. That is why I started the group was to try to help others deal with anxiety, and hopefully one day, maybe it can be cured. I am so tired of anxiety attacks, I just want to be normal, but I may never be. I may be damned to be this constantly anxious anti-social, constantly paranoid, thinking someone is out to get me, and that any day soon may be my last. I feel trapped, and I wouldn't wish such a curse on my worst enemy. Honestly, if I had the choice, I would take one for the team, and suffer everyone's anxiety for them. That way, the illness would die with me. Get in here anxiety sufferers, and give u your symptoms! It is for the greater good!

Replies

• annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started having panic attacks when I was 25 years old. It started when I got stuck in a subway
    car in Manhattan on the way to work. The train got stuck under ground with lights out and wall
    to wall people surrounding me. So I just thought it was crowds at the time and trains. Little did
    I know it is a permanent thing not temporary. I have general anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder
    as well as ADHD so I am very anxious all the time. I did fairly well for about 15 years when my
    Kids were growing up. Then it came back hard and strong when my mom died 12 years ago.
    I have been in therapy and medication now. I thought I could wish it away and you cant. It
    is a chemical in balance in the brain. I find a lot of e excercize helps me a lot. If I workoit
    Don't feel anxious. My advice is get help it works. I am 60 now and still have to keep everything
    normal.
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    My typical panic attack:

It starts with thoughts...that I could have a heart attack and die at any second, or what would happen to me if I collapsed and no one was around? Am I having a stroke? If I'm in public, I wonder if the people around me can sense my anxiety. The worst thing a person can do at this point is to tell me I "don't look well" or ask me if I'm okay.

I get a sinking feeling in my stomach like after a roller coaster drop. My heart starts to pound and I feel dizzy. My skin feels warm and tingly, and my face starts to go numb.

If I was sitting, at this point I'm now pacing or in the bathroom splashing water on my face. The thoughts keep coming, telling me that this time is different and there is actually something wrong with me. I'm going to faint or die if I don't get help.

After a while it works itself out of my system, but afterwords I feel drained and depressed.
  • annew1952
    Options
    Writeher I know exactly what you feel. I get all sweaty and I turn red. And people ask r you ok?
    And the more they ask i am ok the worse I feel. I just want to run out of wherever I am to calm myself
    and get fresh air. Finally I got put on effexor for panic attacks. Helps a lot.
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    I'm glad you found some medication that works well for you. I've been in therapy for a while, tried a couple of meds, but the side effects I had were so bad it wasn't worth it for me. I'm doing a lot better in therapy than I was beforehand, though!
  • rayahmarie333
    rayahmarie333 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'm 39 and I suffer from a severe anxiety disorder with panic attacks and heart palps. I also have IBS and stomach spasms due to my anxiety. It doesn't end there... I also get tension headaches, eye twitches (in both eyes), shallow breathing, and an overwhelming sense of gloom and doom. My muscles in my neck and back are extremely tense 24/7. Oh, and I grind/clench my teeth constantly. In fact, I went to the dentist today because my teeth were hurting so bad and I found I have micro fractures! I wear a mouth piece at night, but now I have to wear it 24 hours a day to prevent the effects of grinding. I'm really close to my family. It's sad but I don't have friends any more because I don't trust any one outside of my family. I feel paranoid all the time that something bad will happen to me or to someone I love. I think I had anxiety as a child. I remember many of those same panicky feelings, but I used to get migraines accompanied by vomiting on stressful days. I also think I got it from my dad. He had an anxiety disorder along with Type I diabetes (insulin dependent - sometimes 3 to 4 shots a day). He had it before I was born, so I grew up around his shots and high/low blood sugar reactions. I also was with him when he had a heart attack, a triple bypass, and 2 legs amputated. I was very close to my dad and being an only child, I was 'daddy's little girl'. He always 'protected' me. I always felt safe when he was around. Well, he passed away suddenly about 16 years ago. That's when my real problems with anxiety began and when I was officially diagnosed. I'm married now and have a 6 yr. old daughter. I'm afraid of just about everything. I get an ache or pain or sick with any kind of symptoms and immediately think the worse. Several of my family members have had cancer (breast, rectal, stomach). I FEAR getting cancer. I currently have pre-diabetes. I FEAR diabetes. I have high blood pressure. I FEAR having a heart attack or a stroke or both! These obsessive paranoid thoughts plague my mind night and day. I have insomnia. I've been on all sorts of meds. and combos of meds since 1996. They've made me gain a lot of weight (I used to weigh 120. My highest weight on certain meds was 197 several years ago.) My husband and I are trying to get pregnant with our second child, so I only take a small amount of Zoloft (100 mg), which I don't feel completely helps. (Effexor XR worked really well for me, but my OB won't allow me to take it or any thing else for my anxiety.) And if I do get pregnant, the dosage will be decreased. When I'm sure of not being pregnant, or when we take time off from TTC (trying to conceive), I take Ativan at night before bed. But I don't thing that really helps any more like it used to. I'm having trouble taking the meds. that I've been taking for years. All of a sudden, I panic when taking my regular meds. sometimes or even something else prescribed (like an antibiotic when needed). I've even had a therapist tell me that I'm very close to being agoraphobic because I don't care to leave my house (although I do since I work 5 days a week, which is a struggle since the added stress from work makes my anxiety worse). When I'm home, I keep all of the blinds closed. I feel safe and protected at home. I'm germaphobic, but that's a whole other story. On top of all these issues, I have social anxiety. I can do ok with 1 or 2 people (but it's stressful), but more than that forget it. Because of my social anxiety, I feel it's hard for me to 'fit in' with people. Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I feel like people don't like me once they get to know me. I am very shy until I get to know someone, so maybe it's mistaken for an "I'm too good for you" attitude. I feel so alone a lot of the times - kind of like no one understands me. On a different note... My daughter has some medical issues with her colon and I'm always thinking the worse when she says she doesn't feel well. I don't really go to a psychologist any more because it was time consuming and not really helping. But I'm happy to find this group and happy to be a part of it with all of you who do understand how torturous anxiety is on a daily basis. I've turned to exercise about a month ago in the hopes of getting control of my BP and pre-diabetes. I've read - and have heard - that exercise also helps anxiety. Well, for me so far, I'm not sure it has. Then again, I've been under a tremendous about of stress lately with work and family issues, and I haven't had a break down yet. So maybe it's doing something to help with the stress. I'm exercising 4 to 5 times a week and I feel an addiction coming on because I'm wanting to exercise everyday for long periods of time. And when I skip a day, it bothers me and I become even more restless and anxious for not doing it. Right now I'm obsessing about having/getting breast cancer. I'm not sure why, but I think I'll call my doctor tomorrow to see about scheduling an exam. I'm supposed to go for some bloodwork next week because my white cell count was very high. I wonder what that's all about. I hope it's not cancer. I want to be around for many years to come so I can watch my daughter grow up. All I want is to be happy and healthy while enjoying my time with my family. I want to enjoy my family without constantly being plagued with such negative thoughts. I want to be able to control my anxiety and even get rid of it once and for all. (At least my dreams are pleasant.)
  • annew1952
    Options
    Good for you. Therapy is good as a matter of fact I just came from there today. But sometimes I feel like why
    Does the crap have to happen to me? I went through a lot of meds before finding effexor. I find exercising is a
    big help.
    Nice talking to you.
  • annew1952
    Options
    Writeher I just replied to your post in the wrong place now it is below this post.
  • allishaFaye
    allishaFaye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    om not sure if i can explain it good but ill try..
    i feel like i cannot breath in deepenough like i have to yawn to get enough air in, my heart is racing, my face and ears get hot like i had a fever. and i feel sick to my stomach. i never end up throwing up but sucking on hard candy usually helps me feel soo much better!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It almost always starts with a thought. It can be the tiniest thing that doesn't even seem to matter at the time or something that is a really long way off. This digs at me until 100 "what if's" pile up. Then comes the sinking stomach followed by a fluttering heartbeat. My face flushes and I have to struggle for breath. After this I usually get shaky and either really warm or really cold while still trying to struggle to get the breathing under control. Falling into an attack usually causes it to get worse. I have very few healthy coping mechanisms, but have started working on breathing exercises and meditation. Sometimes, if I catch it at that first small thought and go do something I can stop it before it even starts.

In public I tend to get the fluttering heartbeat and dizziness in addition to difficulty breathing, but it's easier for me to control because I can remind myself that people will notice if something is wrong and find help.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    Wow, much diversity! Just what people need to read during a panic attack. I find educating yourself, even if you read the same thing every time, can help you pull through it. That is exactly why I wanted to make this post so that anyone having a panic attack can read the experiences of others, and realize that a lot "if not all" of their symptoms are felt by others, and can be dismissed as anxiety. Hopefully these post will help somebody out in a time of need. Keep them coming! Common ground and familiarity can only help us with our anxiety.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My typical panic attack:

It starts with thoughts...that I could have a heart attack and die at any second, or what would happen to me if I collapsed and no one was around? Am I having a stroke? If I'm in public, I wonder if the people around me can sense my anxiety. The worst thing a person can do at this point is to tell me I "don't look well" or ask me if I'm okay.

I get a sinking feeling in my stomach like after a roller coaster drop. My heart starts to pound and I feel dizzy. My skin feels warm and tingly, and my face starts to go numb.

If I was sitting, at this point I'm now pacing or in the bathroom splashing water on my face. The thoughts keep coming, telling me that this time is different and there is actually something wrong with me. I'm going to faint or die if I don't get help.

After a while it works itself out of my system, but afterwords I feel drained and depressed.

This. I've never ridden a roller coaster just the baby (kid) coasters and that's how I feel. That or when you drive really fast and hit dips and that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.

I had a really bad one today after having 2 unexpected calls and one the caller who called me hung up on me. I felt sick and weird. I still feel horrible. :/
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    Sorry Gogojodee, That is bad that such a small thing like a hang up can do that to you, but I ENTIRELY understand. I am just as bad. I get an unknown number, and I am afraid to even answer. Ten years ago, and even less, I was the ballsiest person you may know. Now, everything effects my life. I hate it. I was so hard core, I used to do back hand springs and back flips down the street just to travel in style, because my stamina was unlimited. I was basically a parkour runner. Now, I can't fall asleep without diagnosing myself with 2 or 3 problems it seems.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go.
    During an anxiety day, my chest is tight. My heart flutters, my hands shake, and nothing can stop my mind racing. I try to breathe, but nothing slows down. About half of the time, if I can get out to run, that helps, but if I do run and it doesn't help, I'm left in worse condition. I have no patience, and I feel constantly on the verge of tears.
    My eyes twitch. All of the time. Both eyes, both lids, always twitching. My husband swears that no one else can see it, but it nags at me and make me paranoid, makes me want to scream.
    When an attack happens, I can feel it creeping up. It starts it my stomach, this hard knot, and it moves up. My heart starts to race, my vision blurs, and this knot moves up and lodges in my chest and throat, expanding until I can't breath. Every breath is a struggle, my heart is going to burst and I can not inhale because this knot is stuck and I can't get my body to work right and I'm sure I'm going to die. When I finally push past the knot and manage to breath, I hyperventilate. I still can't figure out how to breath. My body is too hot, my legs and arms and hands are shaking, and the black knot moves to my head and blocks out everything. When it finally eases off, I'm left exhausted, apathetic drained, with one hell of a headache.
    I have a pretty good idea what triggers my attacks, so I try to keep my boundaries clear, but it's not something that you can easily explain. "I'd love to help with this situation, but if I get involved, I'll forget how to breath."
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    usually I'm over-tired, mentally or physically, and that brings them on. It can also be brought on by hormones for me, which I'm hoping to get help with regulating soon. Also I have a problem with large, noisy crowds...such as at walmart, or at concerts, etc. Some kinds of music (heavy bass) can set it off.

It'll start with something small...a dizzy spell, a headache, a stomach ache...something I may not even notice like a a tightness in my neck or jaw. Soon the bigger dizziness sets in, my heart rate speeds up, and I feel a tightness in my chest. By this point, I pop a xanax or remove myself from the situation.

However, if left untreated, it continues to get worse. More dizziness, followed by tighter chest pain, and the feeling that I am going to pass out or vomit. I then get a faster heart rate (it feels like it's beating out of my chest) my legs go tingly and then numb. It usually doesn't get past this point.

BUT if it does, I get a giant knot in my throat, the feeling like I'm constantly thirsty, even more severe nausea, I begin to see stars like I really AM going to pass out at any minute. My numb legs begin to twitch uncontrollably, almost as if I've gone into shock.

When it gets to that, it's xanax plus laying in a quiet, dark, cool place where I can focus on my breathing. Sometimes an icepack on the chest helps...don't ask me why. Try not to focus on the lump in the throat and I eat a Popsicle since I can't sit up to drink.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My typical anxiety attack: usually triggered by an unexpected obstacle or problem or confrontation. Tense stomach, racing thoughts, breathing speeds up, agitation, inability to focus, feel like the room is caving in, feel like I need to run out of the room. I usually start shaking/flapping one hand just to try to get a grip on myself.

Severe full blown panic attack: all of the above including hyperventillating, incoherent moaning screaming, on the floor in a fetal position (usually gripping something because I feel like I"m going to fly apart or die), chest pain, numbness in limbs, and this pretty much goes on until I pass out. At one point I was having the severe attacks every day (often more than once) but now not as often.
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    AnotherAustinGirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My panic attack symptoms mimic the classic symptoms of a heart attack. I've been to every emergency room in this town thinking I was having a heart attack. I always get that "feeling of impending doom" as well. I didn't believe my doctor when she said it was panic attacks but I took the nortriptyline anyway and when that stopped them, I became a believer. I took that for a couple of years but what really stopped them the first time was a divorce! I had been in a not so good marriage for about 13 years. There was a constant low level of stress. Breaking free from that was one of the best things I ever did. I was able to come off the medicine for a few years but they starting coming back a couple of years ago.

I think exercise really does help me. My panic disorder is a chemical imbalance, or that's how it was explained to me. I think building up seratonin with exercise helps me quite a bit. I have been able to cut my dosage from 50 mg to 25 mg and I attribute that to making a point of getting more exercise.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My panic attack usually will start with feeling nauseous even throwing up at times. Getting so hot and sweaty I cant stand it. My heart races so fast my chest hurts. My thoughts go crazy I breath heavy. No one can talk to me or be anywhere near me. Usually need to go outside for air and then just want to cry. If I wake up in a mood you cant be like within 5 feet of me without me feeling closed in and freaking out. My meds def have been helping though.

Oh and in certain circumstances like in a car (which I have to be the one driving and in control) I will feel like I need to use the restroom because I cant. Specially in traffic I usually when going through a drive trough leave myself enough room to get out if i end up having an attack. Its all second nature now and come to find out my mom says a lot of what I do is what my father use to do.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My symptoms always include:
    -first I get restless. can't sit, can't stand, can't lay down.
    -i get very irritated.
    -shortness of breath
    -chest pains
    -tingling in my hands
    -face numbness
    -racing thoughts sometimes
    -obviously heart racing

I catch myself rubbing my palms without even knowing that I am doing it. I tap my feet, also.

I think I throw myself into a full panic attack by worrying that I am going to have a panic attack. It is a vicious cycle and I truly feel for everyone that experiences it.

My anxiety is typically related to health or things that I cannot control (flying - not because I am flying, but because I do not have a direct line to the pilot to ask questions when something seems weird) (heart attack, cancer, stroke, etc.)

I am on Celexa 15mg a day and it really has been a great dosage. I was kind of zombie-like at 20mg. Then I was on no meds for a year or so. Then got back on Celexa, but the doctor started me at 10mg. That was good for a year or so, then I bumped to 15mg. I feel like this is a happy medium. I am not a zombie, but my anxiety is not controlling me.

Best non-medication advice:
    Keep yourself cold. A cold(er) shower, a cool rag on forehead or back of neck.... It sounds REALLY weird, but I make myself so cold that my teeth chatter. I feel like that burns up some of the anxiety and changes my point of focus.
    Pick up some books on mediating/breathing exercises.
    Read some books on anxiety and learn to talk yourself out of an attack.
    KNOW THAT YOU AREN'T ALONE and millions of others go through the same things. You aren't dying.
  • sherrila1
    sherrila1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New to the group! My symptoms are heart palpitations, fear of having heart attack, dizziness, pain in neck, back, chest, fast heart rate, and so many others I could list.

And then to add to my anxiety, I can't seem to lose any weight!! I need to lose 50lbs. Its so upsetting.

I have very high cortisol levels as well, my dietitian thinks this is why i cant lose anything.
    I am desperate.
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just had an anxiety attack about 30 mins again. I got a sharp stabbing pain right in the middle of my chest, the a fast heart beat after that. Followed by lightheaded, and tingling in my left arm. then finally panic sets in.

First I concentrated on controlling my breathing
    then I shifted my focus to something else, i.e. finishing my lunch then doing some work.

they have all went away since then.