How do you wave?

Options
2»

Replies

• baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I'm a waving snob. I'm selective. I remember the fist. Don't know what happened to it. The two finger wave was more of a V-twin thing when it started. When someone was passing you riding a bigger bike, you put down the two finger wave. You would never throw it down to a Honda 750 (which was my first bike by the way). Some people are out there waving like Gomer Pyle at every bike they pass. I don't bother because in this day and age bikes are so common. When I started riding back in the 70's, you didn't pass a lot of bikes, so it was more unique and the fist or two finger wave felt appropriate. If I'm riding around town, I generally don't acknowledge anyone unless it's a club and I do that out of respect. If I'm out in the country and someone waves, I generally respond with a two finger wave, but never when someone is waving like Gomer Pyle.

I never wave at those spyder machines because that feels like I'm waving at a dune buggy. I really don't consider them motorcycles. Trikes, I get it because if you are getting too old or have a disability that prevents you from keeping two wheels up and still want to ride, they are necessary. But when I see someone healthy riding on three wheels, I don't consider that a motorcycle and don't wave. Last week I passed a group of 20 trikes going down the road and they were all waving like a platoon of Gomer Pyles. I just had to turn my head and look the other way and because I think they were waving at cars too. Sorry....I can be a snob.

I get what you're saying. Kinda disagree. I'll wave at most bikers I come across. I realize there are a lot of bikes on the road these days as compared to the 70's, but there are a lot of cars too. I feel like there needs to some solidarity out there, cuz it really does feel like it's us against them sometimes. Us being two weels and them being 4 wheels. Out on the road at least. Once you arrive at an event of rally, sometimes there is a division amongst classes of bikes and/or clubs.

I've noticed I can get along with anyone when we are one on one. Once bikers begin to form up in groups, not as often.

I think I get along with everyone, but I just don't feel that "kindred" feeling with everyone on two wheels. Any bikes that swarm on the rode and cut and swerve in and out of cars like a pack of rats and doing wheelies down the expressways are not getting a wave from me. I think there is a certain pride that goes along with riding Sort of like a knight on a Iron Horse. Those who behave inappropriately don't get a wave from me. Like I said. I can be a snob, because I take too much pride in our lifestyle.
  • baddbob
    Options
    Oh....and P.S. I prefer riding alone most of the time. I don't like worrying about people next to me, behind me or in front of me. I just want to ride and feel the wind. I really only ride as a group when I'm supporting abused children through B.A.C.A.
  • baddbob
    Options
    Okay.....okay....I just had to come back to the thread and say that I have at least been returning waves to EVERYONE who is waving at me. I felt guilty after writing on this blog and felt I had to be a better person. I actually feel better now :-)
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I'm a waving snob. I'm selective. I remember the fist. Don't know what happened to it. The two finger wave was more of a V-twin thing when it started. When someone was passing you riding a bigger bike, you put down the two finger wave. You would never throw it down to a Honda 750 (which was my first bike by the way). Some people are out there waving like Gomer Pyle at every bike they pass. I don't bother because in this day and age bikes are so common. When I started riding back in the 70's, you didn't pass a lot of bikes, so it was more unique and the fist or two finger wave felt appropriate. If I'm riding around town, I generally don't acknowledge anyone unless it's a club and I do that out of respect. If I'm out in the country and someone waves, I generally respond with a two finger wave, but never when someone is waving like Gomer Pyle.

I never wave at those spyder machines because that feels like I'm waving at a dune buggy. I really don't consider them motorcycles. Trikes, I get it because if you are getting too old or have a disability that prevents you from keeping two wheels up and still want to ride, they are necessary. But when I see someone healthy riding on three wheels, I don't consider that a motorcycle and don't wave. Last week I passed a group of 20 trikes going down the road and they were all waving like a platoon of Gomer Pyles. I just had to turn my head and look the other way and because I think they were waving at cars too. Sorry....I can be a snob.

I get what you're saying. Kinda disagree. I'll wave at most bikers I come across. I realize there are a lot of bikes on the road these days as compared to the 70's, but there are a lot of cars too. I feel like there needs to some solidarity out there, cuz it really does feel like it's us against them sometimes. Us being two weels and them being 4 wheels. Out on the road at least. Once you arrive at an event of rally, sometimes there is a division amongst classes of bikes and/or clubs.

I've noticed I can get along with anyone when we are one on one. Once bikers begin to form up in groups, not as often.

I think I get along with everyone, but I just don't feel that "kindred" feeling with everyone on two wheels. Any bikes that swarm on the rode and cut and swerve in and out of cars like a pack of rats and doing wheelies down the expressways are not getting a wave from me. I think there is a certain pride that goes along with riding Sort of like a knight on a Iron Horse. Those who behave inappropriately don't get a wave from me. Like I said. I can be a snob, because I take too much pride in our lifestyle.

I agree with you on the idiots. I have no use for them and they do not represent me or the people I ride with. For the rest of the hard working smart riders out there I will give a nod or a hand out when I pass them especiially if there are other cars around. I want those folks in cars to know that we are one and we are here to stay.