More pressure because we're tall

Options
Do any of you ever feel more pressure to be smaller because you're tall. Yes, we can get away with a few more pounds since they don't show up on us like they would on someone who's 5'1, but I think it's that I know I'm already tall, so I don't want to be tall AND wide.

My husband is only an inch taller than me, and I feel much more pressure to be smaller now than I did when I dated tall guys in the past. It's like I don't mind being taller than him in heels if I'm skinny, but I don't want to be taller AND wider than him and therefore feel more pressure.

Replies

• the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree, I do think there is more pressure to be thin when you're tall. (Don't get me wrong, I think there is pressure to be thin no matter your height) I mean, in my opinion, look at models. All they want are super tall, super thin women.
  • buffyblank
    buffyblank Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Clothing manufacturers definately think if you're tall you should be thinner. Ever notice that Women's regular pants are 2-3 inches shorter than Misses regular pants? I always say that if you're inseam is longer than 27" you look a whole lot better in a size 20 than if your inseam is shorter than 27" so why do women's pants get cut off? By the way I'm so happy to be able to wear misses sizes again!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes! I hate it :(
    I'm already 6ft 2, but with all this extra weight I look like a shed.

*sigh* To be thin and graceful would be lovely.
  • EPingul
    EPingul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about it much but now that you mention it... YES! My husband is 5'8" and kinda stout through the shoulders. When we were dating, I was much more willowy and liked the looks we got as a couple. I felt like arm candy... now I feel like I belong in a scene from Deuce Bigalow. Lately I've even gotten to where I don't like to dress in anything too glitzy or shiny to go out with the girls because I feel like I look like a drag queen! Does that make sense?
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Totally! If a shorter girl has some extra weight on her, she can still be considered cute and adorable. You get a tall girl with the same BMI and she's considered fat or just "big". It is so much worse when you're tall, asian and not tiny. :(
  • 50kgtoofat
    50kgtoofat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually think there is less pressure.. Yes I am not that cute little woman but I find because of my height (please note I am currently very overweight!!!) that you get away with it more. When I tell people what size I am they can't believe it.

Maybe it depends on your shape, even though I am overweight I am all in proportion (thanks to lovely broad shoulders!).

I find the pressure comes from the scales when I hear how much people weigh and they think they are fat.. I just have to put it in proportion to my height but it doesn't always come easy.
  • MsSheri82
    Options
    Yes there is more pressure. A lot of men are already intimidated by a tall woman but a big & tall woman they run from. When I was much smaller I noticed that men weren't so afraid to approach me but now that I added on all these pounds they don't even look my way and Im the same height just alot of wider.
  • jessimathmath
    Options
    i know how you feel. my boyfriend is an inch shorter than me but no one can really tell, but hes like 60 pounds thinner than me, hes in the army and has his physical training and i feel like a big fat hippo. i feel like since im already taller than him i must not be fatter than him.
  • grimlaur
    Options
    I NEVER THOUGHT...

I Always whished i had more bulk cause the tall ones were the hot ones.
    F the short ****! They whine too Much!
  • columbae86
    Options
    I'm *SO* happy to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!! And when you say it out loud, people say: "No.... you look absolutely fine! You're tall and beautiful!" But it's easy to say...
  • goofygyrl21
    Options
    I agree that we can get away with a little more extra pounds than the average and shorter woman. But I feel it's harder because since I'm tall people expect me to be skinner because I must model or be heavier because I play basketball.
    The pounds crept up on me slowly. Always being on the skinner side I wanted to be curvier, and oh did I get it, and in a lot of other places I didn't want it, lol. Now when I tell people I'm trying to lose 30lbs they look at me crazy. But I already weight 214 according to my doctor, so 30lbs wont hurt. Sorry I'm starting to ramble, getting off topic a little... I'm new here and so happy to have found this group.
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! Thank you for posting this! I say this all of the time and everyone just looks at me and blinks. You can hide more weight being tall, but when it starts to show, you feel like a wall. I can't find clothes anywhere lately, when I was "willowy" as one post said, I looked amazing in anything. But, nobody every believed how much I weigh. I'm 175lbs and nobody thinks I weight that much, but I do! I'm going back down to 130-140lbs! I miss cute clothes damn it. I totally get the drag queen feelings. I love to cos play and want to do more sexy stuff in the future. I wish I could afford lipo suction. or be short.
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    oh and I just wanted to add.....I met a guy who was 6'7......He told me that he wasn't interested in me because he prefers shorter girls. Are you serious? I'm barely 5'10.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    oh and I just wanted to add.....I met a guy who was 6'7......He told me that he wasn't interested in me because he prefers shorter girls. Are you serious? I'm barely 5'10.

I've heard that one too! Really, tall guy?? Makes me crazy.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sort of get the feeling that your figure is more likely to be compared with a models body if you are tall and people tend to think that you should try to weigh less just because you could look like a model just if you tried hard enough.. weird world;)
    Uh and even I get the "wow you are too tall for me" although I am 5'9, some guys really seem intimidated by taller girls..
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sort of get the feeling that your figure is more likely to be compared with a models body if you are tall and people tend to think that you should try to weigh less just because you could look like a model just if you tried hard enough.. weird world;)
    Uh and even I get the "wow you are too tall for me" although I am 5'9, some guys really seem intimidated by taller girls..

Or they just tell you "Oh, you're so tall you should be a model!" No, I'm not 30 lbs underweight, I can't be!

I feel like, if you're short, you can be short and "round" and cute OR short and thin and cute, and if you're tall you can be thin and cute but you cannot be tall, big, and cute. You're just a big cow, then. It's hard enough to find a taller guy if you're tall, but if you're a bit plump then you're just that "huge girl". :grumble:
  • buckyphoto
    Options

Or they just tell you "Oh, you're so tall you should be a model!" No, I'm not 30 lbs underweight, I can't be!

I feel like, if you're short, you can be short and "round" and cute OR short and thin and cute, and if you're tall you can be thin and cute but you cannot be tall, big, and cute. You're just a big cow, then. It's hard enough to find a taller guy if you're tall, but if you're a bit plump then you're just that "huge girl". :grumble:

I'm on the "shorter" end of tall at 5'9 myself, and I dated several guys that couldn't "handle" my height too... but please don't think models are all tall and thin. I'm a photographer and I work models on a regular basis. some of the ones that you might think are 5'8"+ and only maybe 120 lbs... thats just as rude as to walk up to anyone in here and say "ooh, you're 170 lbs? Thats so FAT!" I'm not trying to come across rude my any means! Quite the opposite! I talked to one of my models while she was being painted for a themed shoot, being tall too, she warmed up and we were discussing tall-chick-probs like clothing... my model was 6'2 and 168 lbs, and surprisingly, she was incredibly insecure about the stigma that "all models have eating disorders" because her height and build thinned her appearance, despite being very healthy and being a size 8... I compared her pictures next to another model- who did happen to have an eating disorder, was only 5'5", wore a 00 and weighed 89 lbs (fyi, discovery of an eating disorder fired her from the project. That is NOT tolerated or supported within the industry!) except for the fact that my 6'2 gal had larger boobs, they were proportionately the same because of the lenses used. Photography is the greatest lie ever shown, so please don't blame the models, they're just tall girls who are annoyed with sleeve-length too :flowerforyou:
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No kidding! I am a little over 5'10. I am not taller than my fiance (he's 6'2) but I certainly feel so much larger than him. He's always been relatively slim and his weight stays steady. But I have about 50 or 60 pounds on him. Like some of you have said, taller girls can carry more weight, but 60 pounds is a crazy difference between us. *stomping feet in a temper tantrum* I don't like it!
  • urasweethart
    urasweethart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No kidding! I am a little over 5'10. I am not taller than my fiance (he's 6'2) but I certainly feel so much larger than him. He's always been relatively slim and his weight stays steady. But I have about 50 or 60 pounds on him. Like some of you have said, taller girls can carry more weight, but 60 pounds is a crazy difference between us. *stomping feet in a temper tantrum* I don't like it!

so agree with you My hubby is 6'2 normally about 215, Im 5'10 285. I just always wonder what its like to be small Ive been 5'10 since I was 12. but side note I LOVE MY HEIGHT!!!!!!!! the weight can go though. lol
    PLUS: I've never been comfortable with being picked up always thought i was to big and would hurt someone but I secretly would love it. I think I would anything right now to be smaller then him, for so many reasons. lol
  • jkmcguig
    jkmcguig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, my gripe about being tall with weight to lose is that I have to lose 15 lbs. before anyone can notice that I've lost anything at all or before the pants size starts changing (not sure if it is the same for the rest of you)!

I suppose its a double edge sword, since being tall with a larger frame makes a weight gain much less noticable on me than it would be on my smaller friends ;)