Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Options
SnakeDarling
SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
Are there any steps you go through to calm yourself when they happen?
Not just to treat general anxiety, but when the attack itself actually hits.

I have a whole "Fire Drill" that I go through.

1. Deep Breathing.
2. Drumming my fingers on my thumb.
3. Touching my face.

I used to pace very quickly, but I was discouraged from doing that from my psychologist. He said that these attacks are caused by a burst of adrenaline, so getting your heart rate worked up can make it last even longer. Which, for me, is not good as my anxiety attacks already last for 3 to 6 hours.

So what about you guys?

Replies

• Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    My anxiety seems more consistant at night. They say it takes about 3 minutes for one to fully set in, and can be stopped before it even starts. I read it on google last night.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I learned this using one of the commercial panic programs which is CBT therapy based. There were three points to the theory:

Catch it - being able to say "I am having obsessive worriesome thoughts" (This is the hardest part for me.)
    Check it - Challenge the thoughts. (My arms are tingling because of panic. I am not having a stroke.)
    Change it - Get up and do something else.

It takes lots of practice, but it does eventually work! If that fails, I go to youtube, put on a nature sounds video, and do guided meditation until things calm down.
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    Distraction is my biggest technique...the attacks usually hit when I am sitting, so if I feel it coming, the first thing I do is stand up and walk around. I usually head to the restroom if I can to splash water on my face. Get myself a glass of water or a cup of herbal tea.

I also have a vial of lavender essential oil I sometimes sniff.

If I am walking around a public place, I sometimes pinch the skin on my arm, rub my face or snap a rubber band around my wrist, and just keep moving/talking, if I am with someone else.

Those work for me probably like 75% of the time, if I catch those pre-panic attack thoughts early enough.
  • mistycastle
    mistycastle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I'm having anxiety in the evening, I like to take a bath. The water seems to calm me down. I'll put on some TV and just relax.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    If I'm having anxiety in the evening, I like to take a bath. The water seems to calm me down. I'll put on some TV and just relax.

Yeah, I do the same with lavender epsom salt.