Counting Exercise Calories

Options
kt2312
kt2312 Posts: 10 Member
Hi All,

I noticed a few people count calories when they are say shopping or doing the house cleaning which I know does actually burn calories, but was told not to count them as they are 'daily activity' calories and was told to only count planned exercise calories.

I was told the way most calorie counting systems work is that you base your calorie intake on what type of normal daily activities you conduct, without planned exercise activity, for example I am sedentary during the day as I sit at a computer for most of it, therefore it works out that I would burn 1900 calories in a normal day and suggests a 1200 calorie food intake.

My trainer told me it was cheating to count these towards my daily exercise. What do you guys think? Have you heard different?

Replies

• aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I too only count the calories I burn when doing formal exercise and all the bits and pieces throughout the day count towards my BMR.

I think this is the best way to do it, then if you informal activity its like a bonus to your weight loss because you don't see it as calories that you can still eat. I think if you NEED to count the informal activity, you need to do MORE formal activity!
  • kt2312
    Options
    Yeah that's how I do it too. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any...! Ha ha.
  • aggibridges
    aggibridges Posts: 17
    Options
    I feel the same way you do, kt, it's cheating! Not only that, but it can be dangerous for weight loss if you start thinking 'Oh, I cleaned the house today and burned 200 calories, I'll allow myself a treat!'. I mean, if you're having an unplanned treat you weren't going to have anyway, what was the benefit of doing the exercise? :P
  • akyraj2006
    akyraj2006 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I actually count my cleaning and shopping calories but only when I am doing it for more than an hour! They do count because your BMR is really the calories you burn at rest. So anything you do is helping to burn more calories..... but i personally think there is no wrong way to do it! do what works for you!! :)
  • kt2312
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I think I'll leave those little calories out and they just be bonus ones.