Too few calories?

Options
I am starting to get a bit discouraged with the number on the scale. I've been holding steady at 150 lbs for about a week and a half. I can definitely tell a difference in my body/feel thinner, but the number isnt dropping & I'm anxious about it. I have not at all cheated on my diet the past week or so, am eating about 1,000 cals a day, but I am starting to think maybe this is too few? I know the whole "starvation mode" effect is a real thing, but i dont feel like im starving myself--i eat a ton of fiber & protein and rarely go to bed hungry. In fact some days I only make it to about 850 calories or so just because I dont feel hungry. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• dmm5021
    dmm5021 Posts: 3
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more calories. It doesn't matter whether you feel hungry or not. Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to survive and keep itself functioning. You are taking in way less than that. Try and get AT LEAST 1200 calories a day. If you aren't hungry for a lot of food then find healthy snacks to throw into your routine to add calories and keep your metabolism running.
  • arielmorgan
    Options
    thanks! im gonna try upping my calories to 1200 & see if it makes a difference. i really just hope i dont gain!!
  • TinaLosesIt
    Options
    I realize this thread is a few months old but I thought this may help.

I can't find the exact site I used to figure out my BMR based on my activity level but this one is easier.

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/calorie_calculator.asp#

To lose roughly 1 pound per week, subtract 500 calories a day from your daily requirement.
    To lose 2lbs per week, subtract 1000 calories a day from your daily requirement.
    Example. If your daily requirement is 2379 cal and you want to lose 2lbs/wk eat 1379calories per day
    *note women shouldn't go below 1200 calories per day
  • Treejewel19
    Treejewel19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BMR is really important however it is how much your body burns at resting (basal metabolic rate) and does not take into account any activity.

To figure out how many calories to consume based on activity levels check out the Harris Benedict Equation. This will tell you how many calories to consume daily to maintain based on your BMR and activity levels. To loose weight they suggest reducing this amount by 15-20%.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/