Just got a Garmin Forerunner 305- Advice?

Options
j_courter
j_courter Posts: 999 Member
:glasses: I have used my Forerunner several times and I'm really starting to like it. It's been fun to be able to see my pace as I'm running. Now, I've noticed that this sucker has TONS of different preset workouts. Do you have several that you use? One that you particularly enjoy? One that you HATE? I'd love to hear the good, the bad, the ugly and which features you use most regularly.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in. :smile: Happy running folks! :drinker:

Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin too, but haven't really used the workouts yet. I hate fussing over buttons and such while I'm running. I'd be interested in hearing from others on this as I need to take more advantage of all the different features. (I have a 305 as well).
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 (having had a 201, 205, 405 & now 610): set your 'autolap' to 1 miles, the display your "lap pace."

I find this to be the much more useful than the "current pace" field.

I also watch average pace, which is the pace over then entire run.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I use the 4 fields set up.

Average pace
    Current pace
    Heart Rate
    Distance
  • j_courter
    Options
    today i used the interval workout. i set it to run for 2 minutes, recover for 2 minutes, and repeat 10x. after setting the workout i was relieved to find out that i didn't have to mess with any other buttons, just listen for the beeping cues and run or rest! it was hard work, but it was a lot of fun to compare paces and heart rates after the run. :drinker:
  • j_courter
    Options
    My $.02 (having had a 201, 205, 405 & now 610): set your 'autolap' to 1 miles, the display your "lap pace."

I find this to be the much more useful than the "current pace" field.

I also watch average pace, which is the pace over then entire run.

this sounds like good advice. there are times i want to know what my current pace is, but i can see how it would be much more useful to see average pace, especially with all the crazy hills where i run!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Glad to hear you all are liking the 305. I want to invest, but all I hear are complaints about the bezel so I'm scared to invest. I was thinking about buying the 405 actually.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The current pace field when using the GPS is not very accurate, especially around buildings or trees since the GPS accuracy will degrade from time to time. For average pace and the rest it is good. If you want an accurate current pace you really need to add a footpod and take the time to get it properly calibrated.

I have never used the preset workouts but I do use workouts I enter myself a lot. It's like having a coach along for the run.