What kind of transplant did you get and when?

Just curious as to what type of transplant you received, when and how you have done with it. I personally had a heart transplant on June 4, 2011. So far so good. No major issues, just trying to get this prednisone weight off.

Replies

• HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 190 Member
    Heart transplant 12/31/09. Doctor cut my Prednisone in half this week. YEAH
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Kidney transplant. June 24, 2003. Living donor, my mom. No issues at all.
  • I had a new kidney transplanted in August 2011 and then had my two diseased kidneys removed in March 2012. I am now done with my healing and am also trying to get the prednisone weight off!!!!! I can't believe what an effect that drug is having on my weight loss ability. Are you hungry all the time too???
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Hi. My brother gave me a kidney December 2009. Not having any issues either (except for what I consider the normal stuff) but I had my transplant at Mayo and for whatever reason, I only took prednisone the five days I was in the hospital and then no more. the six months before the transplant I started gaining weight and by the time the transplant happened, I was over 30 lbs over-weight.
  • fuegofan
    fuegofan Posts: 1 Member
    Kidney Transplant #1 6/1/2006 from my dad. Started having rejection episodes after about two months on and off for 5 months and had to be relisted. Managed to hang on with no dialysis riding the razors edge for almost 4 years. Went on dialysis 4/23/2010 and got #2 on May 20, 2010. Just so happened to be my 5th wedding anniversary and I was 4 hours from getting on a plane to go on vacation when the call came in. No problems with #2. Just had 2 year checkup and everything is running well. Trying to lose about 35-40 pounds. Was 190-195 before transplants started then got up to 216. Down to 207 as of today and want to get down to 180 or below. Currently prediabetic due to prednisone and weight also, need to get healthier to make sure #2 sticks around for a long time. Last thing I want is to have to go back on dialysis.

Oh yeah, my wife also ended up getting pregnant 6 weeks post transplant #2 and now I already have two that are 11 months apart!!!
  • I have Cystic Fibrosis and had a double lung transplant on September 29, 2008. :) It has been a fabulous four years of finally being able to breathe. My prednisone is forever, but I am only on 5 mg a day now. It seems like we lung transplantees have a lot more meds that are forever, and I think it really contributes to my difficulty keeping my weight down. So far I am having an easy time using MyFitnessPal, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays easy. :)

exercise.png
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Heart transplant, 03/02/2010. Doing good... only had a slight rejection in the first year. Stayed lazy after my transplant. Gained 50+ lbs. Started going to college, and really need to get into shape and get healthy. Doing good so far. Just need to resist my sugar cravings!
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Kidney transplant, 02/03/2011, AB incompatible living donor, My Dad. I'm doing well and have minimal side effects :flowerforyou:
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Kidney transplant 30 April 2010 Live donor - my mum. No problems at all. :)
  • Sheathen
    Sheathen Posts: 1 Member
    Heart transplant 4/12/10. I gained alot of weight with the prednisone. My maintanence dose is now only 2.5mg daily. Now my major job is to lose the 75 lbs I gained.
  • HOOVS5899
    HOOVS5899 Posts: 1
    Kidney transplant 3/03 from my mother and doing good. Still on the prednisone low dose. Wish I could be off it though.
  • cynthiapick
    cynthiapick Posts: 49 Member
    I had a Liver Transplant in March 2010. This was due to suffering from PBC for 25 years. Nothing to do with alcohol. I have put on 5 st. since then with one medication or another, I was very unfit and weak. I have started started losing weight and exercising every day, and am feeling much better for it.
    I was beginning to hate going to the clinic because the surgeons were always having a go about my weight, so in 2 months time I am going to the clinic and holding my head up high